Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Spackling ok to fill small gaps?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Spackling ok to fill small gaps?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:41 AM
spitfire66

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Spackling ok to fill small gaps?

Hello,

I am working on my Top Flite Giant P-51 and I have been using spackling to fill small low spots, dents, and gaps before I fiberglass. I am going to use Deft Laquer sanding sealer to seal the wood before using waterbased polyurethane to glass. Will the sanding sealer react with the spackling causing it too wipe off, or will it be okay to use together? What do most of you guys use? I was thinking about wood filler but I didn't have any and didn't think too much about it until now. I am going to be using spot putty filler after glassing. Thanks,

Shannon
Old 01-09-2014, 10:57 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the light weight spackling exclusively. And after sanding if you'd like it a bit stiffer hit it with some ca. Check out my gallery, everyone of them are finished with the spackling.

Also if you have a joint in the sheeting not quite tight you can fill it with the spackling, let dry, sand , ca it, and then it is a solid joint.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:23 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 177 Likes on 152 Posts

Before filling any small dents and dings try getting them damp and then steam them out with a Monokote iron. You will be surprised how well it works. Like Ace said, you will want to seal the spackle with CA or my choice would be to wipe a thin coat of finishing epoxy. Apply the lacquer very thinly and about 3 coats. Use as little of the poly as you possibly can, after the glass is saturated remove as much of the poly as you can with paper towels. It's also best to do it with ambient temp of 70 or better. After it's dried for a couple days carefully sand smooth. You can then fill the weave with more poly with some baby powder, try to find the unscented type.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:36 AM
acerc

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did not mean they were finish finished, I meant all the dings and dents prior to the covering.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:57 PM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

I use Paint and Patch from the Home Depot. Light weight and easy to sand and I have covered it with everything. Good Luck, Dave
Old 01-09-2014, 07:35 PM
RCKen
RCU Forum Manager/Admin
My Feedback: (9)

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've used lightweight spackling many times to fill in small dents, dings, gaps, and holes in my planes. It works well, sands well, and is pretty inexpensive.

Hope this helps

Ken
Old 01-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have to agree, it's about all I use includeing filling the weave in the glass. It don't appear to be alergic to anything except water may soften it if you don't seal it.

Leroy
Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 PM
spitfire66

Thank you very much everyone for the input, I will continue as I find time and seal before laquer. I love the ability to ask questions (via the website forum) to get a lot of the dumb questions/experimenting out of the way. I'm time limited, but enjoy working on my project in the garage. I'm going to take a week off next week to get my project looking more like a plane. Thanks again!
Old 01-10-2014, 12:46 PM
jaka

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi!
I use 24-30 hour epoxy and brown microballons (Phenol plastic).
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.Microballonger stryks på kroppen.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	2.60 MB
ID:	1956080   Click image for larger version

Name:	tn_Konsistens på microballonger plast.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	1956081  
Old 01-11-2014, 04:16 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by spitfire66
Thank you very much everyone for the input, I will continue as I find time and seal before laquer. I love the ability to ask questions (via the website forum) to get a lot of the dumb questions/experimenting out of the way. I'm time limited, but enjoy working on my project in the garage. I'm going to take a week off next week to get my project looking more like a plane. Thanks again!
I like the ability to ask questions, too.

Can you elaborate on your comment about sealing before lacquer ?
Old 01-25-2014, 09:21 AM
spitfire66

Originally Posted by TomCrump
I like the ability to ask questions, too.

Can you elaborate on your comment about sealing before lacquer ?
I made a mistake when I typed that. I meant to say sealing with lacquer before fiberglassing with the waterbased polyurethane. I am going to experiment practically step by step from Tom Pierce's website. This is my first attempt at doing any kind of finishing/fiberglassing work, therefore I following his guidance to a Tee.