Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Engine cleaner

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2003, 03:40 PM
IBRC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine cleaner

If I had a truck that has been sitting for a couple of months with no fuel in it and no after run oil put through it before storing, what can I use to clean out the system to "ungum" it. Does anyone use like a carb cleaner or something?[sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 09-26-2003, 07:41 PM
Billyman
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Engine cleaner

Yes, but only if you take it apart first (which I recommend).

Does it not turn over or appear to be stuck?

If stuck, disassemble, clean, reassemble (with some type of lubricant on the bearings, piston and whatnot. 3-in-1 oil works great (or equivalent)).

If not stuck, just try and start the dang thing.
Old 09-26-2003, 07:51 PM
jbjustin33415

Go to your local automotive shop: Discount Auto, Autozone, Pep Boys, or even K-Mart or Wal-Mart, and buy Marvel Mystery Oil (Red bottle). Take the motor apart and oil it with this. Then after that run a few drops of it in the tank of gas for the first run. This will add more oil content to the nitro to help the motor recover from the long sit of no oil.
Old 09-26-2003, 09:13 PM
Militia

I had my car for about 2 months now and I think its time for a cleaning. The whole car looks quite dirty. What would you suggest for me to use to degrease the outside of the engine? Just regular ol' automotive engine degreaser? Also, for everything besides the engine and electricals what would be a good product to use to clean the rest of the car?
Old 09-26-2003, 09:26 PM
Militia

I read some old posts and most say rubbing alcohol is good for cleaing dust and dirt. Then for oil residue some say use engine degreaser. Are these good suggestions?
Old 09-26-2003, 10:12 PM
gene2586
My Feedback: (11)

If there is Gunk from storage inside the engine You can loosen it up with careful
use of Nitro-solvent. availableat any sporting goods counter that carries gun
supplies. Folow with Marvel Mystery Oil. Use VERY GOOD ventilation, PLEASE
Gene2586
Old 10-01-2003, 02:22 PM
IBRC

Thanks for the replies. The engine is not stuck, it has just been sitting, I was wondering if I should do some preventative maintenance or just put fuel in it and go. I have read that the nitro fuel can evaporate and make things "gummy" in the engine.