Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 08:35 AM
pcarluvr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good deal?

I was at my local (hour away) Hobby Town USA getting some parts for my buddy's car. While wondering around and drooling over the models, I came across a table with some used rc's. I asked why they were selling used and found out that they were cars/trucks brought in for repair and abandoned. There on the table was a HPI Savage 25 that looked brand new. It ended up being an old display model that they pilfered parts off of. The engine pull start is broken, missing one servo, receiver, battery pack, and radio. Little stuff like throttle linkage, gas tank and a few odds and ends. I figured the most expensive thing to get would be the radio and the servo but I have a Hitec HS-5645mg brand new that I never used sitting around. They wanted $150 for it. I left and couldn't stop thinking about it. I figured that someone who has one would be crazy not to buy this for anything even as a parts truck. Yesterday I went back with the cash and it was still there so I nabbed it. They were pretty busy so I was looking around and found another Savage 25 that was totally beat but had my tank, linkage, odds and ends. Also has extra front/rear diffs, 2 wheels and tires,all 8 shocks, good transmission, both servo's,bumpers,all axles but the frame is bent and did not have the engine. They wanted $30 for it so, I nabbed it too! They gave me $10 off for buying both. So I got a new Savage 25 and the parts to nearly finish it for $170 and $181. with tax. I think I got a good deal?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:40 AM
pcarluvr

Oh yeah, the parts truck (beat one) has a back story. Two Pittsburgh Penguins hockey players were in the store a couple years ago looking for something to do. They wanted to buy a truck, go play with it and have fun. HT USA gave them a floor model truck to go have fun with. They crashed it into a concrete wall and bent the frame and took it back. That is the one I bought for $30!
Old 04-12-2014, 09:54 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Not too bad for the 2
could easily get that $30 back(and then some) off the 2nd one selling the part you don't need

Hell 2 years ago I paid $130ish for a beat up .21

Weill say one thing get a 2.4ghz radio for it and keep the antenna under the body. Savages are VERY hard on antennas when I used 27mhz on my savage I was replacing the antenna wire at least every other run.

Here is a good thing about savages if you break a part you can always get a savage X manual, and use parts off that as parts pretty much mount up exactly (well except the diff cases those changed a teeny bit, but can still be used if creative). As for bending the frame I believe it the older savages the fram was somewhere around 1.5-2mm's thick where newer ones are 3mm, and made of a stronger aluminum there are aftermarket ones that are even 5mm's thick as you can still bend the 3mm ones if you hit it just right (I've seen some bent frames that would make you wonder).
Old 04-12-2014, 10:04 AM
pcarluvr

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140411_130938.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	2.73 MB
ID:	1986298   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140412_124903.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	3.38 MB
ID:	1986299   Click image for larger version