Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Ultracote = Oracover?

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Ultracote = Oracover?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 01:18 AM
vasek
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultracote = Oracover?

i bought a roll of black Ultracote for some trim (the Windex method)...

the Windex didn't take (trim pealed off during the night) because the glue didn't get activated... so i checked the roll and there was ORACOVER printed on the backing !??[]

so i brought the roll back to my LHS where it was purchased, and i told the guy it said ULTRACOTE on the packing but it was actually ORACOVER. he said it is the same thing...

now i am confused, the windex works with Ultracote- so if Oracover is the same stuff why didn"t it work?

can anyone help me to get this right?[&:]

THANX
Old 10-03-2003, 08:16 AM
rorywquin

Default RE: Ultracote = Oracover?

ultrakote = profilm = oracover (manufacturer) ! I think that Windex is used with monokote!!
Old 10-03-2003, 08:26 AM
CCRC1
My Feedback: (13)

To my knowledge the windex does not activate the adhesive on either covering(Monokote or Ultracote). The windex only allows you to position the trim and ensure all of the air bubbles are removed. You still need to follow up with some low heat to seat the trim and activate the adhesive after it has dried.
To answer your original question- Ultracote and Oracover are the same product.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:41 AM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I second EVERYTHING that CCRC1 said.
Old 10-03-2003, 10:32 AM
klhoard
My Feedback: (10)

Ford = Mercury . . . . . Chevy = GMC = Cadillac . . . . it's a mad, mad, mad, mad, mad world. . .

If you do a quick search on Windex, you'll find an entire thread on using Windex with Monokote. I don't think it works with Ultracote / Oracover.
Old 10-03-2003, 11:35 AM
dr_wogz
My Feedback: (3)

I'll triple it, because I've done it many times!

The windex is creates a film between the coverings that evaporates, leaving teh upper covering essentially 'stuck' to the lower covering. There's no 'air' to expand and contract with tempurature, creatign 'bubbles'. Aftyer the evaporation (24 - 48hrs) just iron down teh edges to activate the glue, and seal the trim coveringn to the main covering. Some will apply a sealer of some sort afterwards, such as trim solvent, or clear nail polish. Som will even dribble a small amount of thin CA..

You can also use soap & water, but the windex evaporates faster. And yes, the slight soapy film / residue does help 'stick' the trim covering in place.

At least, that's my take on it..

All teh films out there (except the fiber stuff) are essencially the same stuff. heat activate glue / color on a heat shrinkable polyester film.
Old 10-03-2003, 03:36 PM
vasek

my mistake!

thanks for all the help, ya it's Nonokote NOT Ultrakote that works for the Windex method, see:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_71.../tm.htm#712709