Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Why most modellers prefer left counterclockwise turns with their planes?

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Why most modellers prefer left counterclockwise turns with their planes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 04:31 PM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by flycatch
Never said I had a fear of turning CW I'm just not that proficient as turning CCW.
I used the word Fear because my spell checker couldn't figure how to spell anzitey Had to go to google it to figure
out how to spell anxiety. Sorry
Old 08-21-2014, 04:53 PM
microdon2
My Feedback: (47)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like what beebee said about the natural movement of the right hand, that "pulling in" is more natural than pushing out. The "pull in" movement also feels more controlled. My other thought - pardon if this has already been put out there - is related. It's based on the fact that about 90% of the population is right handed. And righties naturally "steer" or "base" their stances with the right foot at the back. Think batting and throwing in baseball, golf stance, a tennis forehand, snow-boarding, slalom skiing. We face our left shoulder "downhill", or toward the action. The front foot - the left - is the one that moves - it just feels more natural. Flying CCW would mean the plane is approaching you (on the close leg) from your left, just like being pitched to (or any of the other examples). That said I wonder if any lefties out there might feel more comfortable flying CW. Also just wondered how lefites feel about using Mod 2 (or it is part of living in a "righty" world?)
Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys,

No, I am not on here in the mid-night hours. The RCU clock is on 1:00 am when I am at lunch and enjoying these pages.

Thanks for the comment about my command of the English written language, but truth be told, I am an expat Texan living over here. Mine is not that close to the Queen's English.

Agree, "THAT" the tendency exists is the result of poor training and/or practice. Doing some regular figure 8s will usually break one of this weakness. "WHY" it exists is more for the discussion here.

I also agree this may be more for the thumb and forefinger flyers (as am I) than the thumbers, but the trait is still there, just reduced.

You will also find this tendency discussed in full scale flight and piloting, and there are as many and varied reasons argued there too.

Bedford
Old 08-22-2014, 04:31 AM
willig10

Dont think it has anything to do with ergonomics of your hand on the transmitter. It is simply the way we are brought up in the world from birth. Think about it. the majority of us drive from the left side of the car, (Now you Englanders and Jamaicans etc.drive on the right). Us pilots that fly full scale airplanes always sit in the left seat (Instructors and first officers get the right). Track competitions are always run counter clockwise, Nascar is run counter clockwise. Horse racing for the most part is run counter clockwise. Aircraft pylon racing is run counter clockwise. When you are flying full scale the majority of the patterns are done to the left.

Let's just face it we like going left. However I sometimes turn right. No biggie. Thinking about it is harder to do than just doing it.

my 2 pennies.
Glenn
Old 08-22-2014, 04:56 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be the odd ball here, or I've been teaching for too long. I've got no problems turning either way and I've never had a student that had problems turning either way. The fact that I teach a race track pattern both CW and CCW followed by horizontal figure eights in the first three lessons may be a factor.

As an aero engineer I find the um 'explanations' for why left is easier bemusing. From straight and level constant-speed flight P-factor and torque have virtually insignificant effect on most models.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:21 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

[QUOTE=MajorTomski;11865580]I must be the odd ball here, or I've been teaching for too long. I've got no problems turning either way and I've never had a student that had problems turning either way. The fact that I teach a race track pattern both CW and CCW followed by horizontal figure eights in the first three lessons may be a factor.

That's exactly the correct way to teach. I do patterns both ways mainly to teach a new student where I want them
to fly. (not too close not too far away not too high or too low) If U let them fly where ever the plane takes tem U are doing them a disservice. Then it Horizontal squar figure 8's this teaches both left and right turns. No Preference.