Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Nylon hinges

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Nylon hinges

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 07:30 PM
SteveGB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nylon hinges

How sensitive are nylon hinges to the heat of a sealing iron? I would like to install them prior to covering so I can pin them in place with cut off toothpicks. Is this OK?
Old 10-11-2003, 10:11 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Nylon hinges

Steve:
The heat won't hurt the nylon hinges. If I may suggest, there's a product called Goop that you can buy at Home Depot. Strong enough that you don't need to pin the hinges. Put some vasaline on the hinge pins to keep the glue from getting into them. Never had one pull out on many planes.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:15 PM
Jimbo88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nylon hinges

I have used Nylon hinges in most of my scratch built planes and i have no troubles with them (i mean they have never melted, i hope!) All i do is make the iron setting hot enough to "tack" the covering to the plane (not to hot, not to cold)

Also i havnt used Nylon Hinges much now since i started building spads (i used nylon hinges about a year or 2 ago with no problems, but please dont take my advice just because ive done it its up to remember!