Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

tailerons F18 ??

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

tailerons F18 ??

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 06:01 AM
Kelly Rohrbach
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tailerons F18 ??

Hey Guys,
I have noticed on some videos of guys that have coupled the elevators with the ailerons on the F18. I have a Tam F18 and have seen one that was done this way and I wondered if others are doing this as well and with what kind of results. On the one video it seemed to fly quite well. I know on the real aircraft this is the norm so I was just curious if more guys are doing this. I would think if done right it would work real well but I could also see if too much input was given you could have a real tiger by the tail so to speak. On the other hand at real slow speeds it may give better control. Thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2011, 06:22 AM
acw

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: tailerons F18 ??

I use tailerons mixed with ailerons on both my Jet legend f-18C and Tam's super hornet.  This provides a better roll response, especially at low speed. Start with about 40% of the elevator throw and take it from there.<div>
</div><div>Arnaud</div>
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Edgar Perez
My Feedback: (13)

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

Any sensitivity issues on the elevator for landing?
Old 03-27-2011, 10:51 AM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I've got stabs and ailerons mixed on my YA F-22...works great!
Old 03-27-2011, 11:11 AM
yeahbaby
My Feedback: (21)

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

in close just prior to flare, there is the possibility of reduced stab authority via pitch moment when correcting for lineup / drift etc while using your ailerons more than your rudder to compensate for the wind

although, on our models the reduced pitch should be hardly noticeable to 95% of us.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:15 PM
cmjets

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi:

I am F-18 Jet Legend almos finished and I am thinking in the same thing.

But, how much travel for taileron and how much for aileron ??? or how much mix ???

Many thansk in advance.

Carlos.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:42 PM
Kelly Rohrbach

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could you tell me what that translates to in actual amount of throw of elev vs ail. Aileron at the suggested throws and how much elev??
thanks in advance
Old 03-27-2011, 08:37 PM
acw

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Please let me know if you want exact throw for the Super Hornet but basically:<div>
</div><div>- I use the recommended aileron throw</div><div>- I use 40% of the pitch throw as roll effect for the tailerons</div><div>- I add some generous expo and a dual rate. I'm currently flying in low rate which 75% of the recommended aileron throw + tailerons</div><div>
</div><div>The setup works well for me. I haven't experiences loss of pitch authority. </div><div>
</div><div>Arnaud</div>
Old 03-28-2011, 04:58 AM
basimpsn
My Feedback: (5)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a Skymaster F-18C with basic control and love it, I tried flying my friend F-18C with tailerons mix with ailerons ,,It felt like T-Rex 600 Heli without Expo, opposed to a vigor 60. (What the He## is he talking about

P.S Just my Opinion
Old 01-18-2015, 08:28 AM
jescut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acw
Please let me know if you want exact throw for the Super Hornet but basically:<div>
</div><div>- I use the recommended aileron throw</div><div>- I use 40% of the pitch throw as roll effect for the tailerons</div><div>- I add some generous expo and a dual rate. I'm currently flying in low rate which 75% of the recommended aileron throw + tailerons</div><div>
</div><div>The setup works well for me. I haven't experiences loss of pitch authority.*</div><div>
</div><div>Arnaud</div>
Hi

I have the Skymaster F18f and I would like to know if it is better or not with tailerons mix with ailerons, ailerons alone or tailerons alone? Also if I mix ailerons and tailerons together, how much throw on tailerons I need to make. And what Expo on Futaba radio I need to make for tailerons?

Any help is greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in advanced