Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Fried my servos and receiver but not sure how it happened ?!?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Fried my servos and receiver but not sure how it happened ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2015, 07:57 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Fried my servos and receiver but not sure how it happened ?!?

Ok guys, here is a weird one. I was running my MGT with a Associated servo and a replacement Hitec servo. I was using a 2.4 ghz controller and receiver with a 1600 mah hump receiver pack. I ran for about 4 min, controls seemed to be delayed. I took the body off and both servos were smoking. I looked over the car and didn't see any issues with fuel leaks or otherwise. The servos were dry, everything was dry. The Battery fairly new and holds a good charge. I opened each servo, each had a distinct melted plastic spot on the bottom. Inside one little chip on the board had melted making the mark on the case. On both servos. The only thing I could see that looked slightly out of the ordinary was that the battery rx connector was slightly bent as it connected to the receiver. I am seriously confused as to what occured here. Maybe just a freak incident with a faulty battery that surged, or the connector touched removed the ground wire and arced? I am confused. Replaced the two servos and the radio with another I had. Everything works great now, but the reciever, servos and battery pack are toast. Any ideas?
Old 04-04-2015, 06:45 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What battery did you have? It could have been too much voltage and that made them fry.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:37 AM
mattster1971

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Um.. I thought I Clearly stated a 5 cell 1600 mah nimh .
Old 04-05-2015, 11:03 AM
collector1231

Hump pack is not automaticly 5 cells. I have a 6 cell hump pack, and even a 7 cell too. I assume it fried the first component on the board where the wires come in. I suspect a burst of electricity just happened and fried them.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:26 PM
cbaker65

Originally Posted by mattster1971
Um.. I thought I Clearly stated a 5 cell 1600 mah nimh .
I think you had something that shorted out,but I dont think it was an over power of the batts.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:28 AM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it at all possible the end points were incorectly set??

has this setup been working in the past? Have u changed anything since it was last running??

i don't think it was a power issue..... And if it shorted u would think there would be a visible sign on the wires.

from what u are saying about the servo faid, it sounds like they both overheated. Generally that's caused by incorrect end points, excessive load on the servo, or a servo that is not strong enough.

to get an idea of what happened we weed to rule out that
Old 04-16-2015, 08:33 AM
jkdv8

Yes check the end points like ph said. What brand was the radio? Also charge the battery and make sure it doesn't creep over 6V. Also, take note some receivers can only take 5V.