Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Saturday's Stupid Size Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2015, 03:24 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saturday's Stupid Size Question

If anyone knows....it seems the DLE 55 and 50 have gone the way of the dinosaurs, and evolved into something bigger, called the DLE 60??? Is this true?
If true, does it share same mounting dimensions and standoff/overall length footprints from the 50/55??? Prop hub screw spacing?
Old 05-10-2015, 02:24 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If they were smart they would have matched the mounting dimensions allowing for an easy upgrade. I was surprised to find out that the 55RA had a different standoff mounting pattern from the side-exhaust version. Hopefully, the 61 matches the pattern of the older 55.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:38 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

About the only thing that stays "standard" on new upgraded engines is the distance between the studs where the carb bolts on !
Old 05-10-2015, 09:43 AM
Bob Pastorello

Originally Posted by captinjohn
About the only thing that stays "standard" on new upgraded engines is the distance between the studs where the carb bolts on !
+1, captinjohn, for sure.

Did find the manual, and the mounting holes are different. Just far enough off to require either a) wallowing out existing holes into ovals or b) putting new doubler on firewall...
NEITHER of those are any good at all....btdt.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:46 AM
Bob Pastorello

Originally Posted by Lifer
If they were smart they would have matched the mounting dimensions allowing for an easy upgrade. I was surprised to find out that the 55RA had a different standoff mounting pattern from the side-exhaust version. Hopefully, the 61 matches the pattern of the older 55.
Nope. hole spacing matches neither the DL50, nor DL55. But it does seem pretty close to one of those RCG types....So clearly "retrofitting" is a major event/project, when it sure didn't need to be....oh well.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:38 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Pastorello
Nope. hole spacing matches neither the DL50, nor DL55. But it does seem pretty close to one of those RCG types....So clearly "retrofitting" is a major event/project, when it sure didn't need to be....oh well.
Bob, it depends on how far off "a little off" really is. If it's 3/16"-1/4", then it shouldn't be hard to cut a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate that can be drilled/tapped accordingly and installed on the stand offs with flat heads. The engine would mount on the plate. Cut the center to lighten it. It will cost maybe an ounce which on the larger airframe would be invisible.

On 30cc engines I've done this with plywood. On 60 cc engines, carbon clad ply would work too.

If it's less than 1/8", then it may take more FW surgery relocating the blind nuts.

Either way, there's work involved but shouldn't be terrible.
Old 05-11-2015, 08:59 AM
Bob Pastorello

Yeah, those are all good techniques, and not too hard. I've done those things too many times to remember which for what...
Just getting lazy in my old age, wishing that similar-sized motors would be drop ins for each other. Lazy man's wish, I guess...
Old 05-11-2015, 09:10 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Not only that, but it makes good marketing sense to make the mounting holes identical. That would incline one to buy an upgrade motor. It would be a simple issue to replace.