Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

tips needed removing old Monokote.

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

tips needed removing old Monokote.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 04:48 PM
lownslo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tips needed removing old Monokote.

I am going to re-cover a Great Planes Spacewalker ARF this winter. It has had several repairs and needs a "face lift" I know I am going to have a few headaches because of epoxy, and or CA, that may have made it's way under the covering in some places. Any tricks for those areas?? In "normal" areas, is there a good heat setting to loosen the Monokote without pulling off the wood? .... thanks in advance...
lownslo......
Old 10-15-2003, 09:37 PM
majortom-RCU
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: tips needed removing old Monokote.

I've pulled the covering off a few planes, monokote and other stuff. I just use the same setting on my iron that I use to put the monokote on, except it doesn't take as much pressure to unstick it as to stick it down. However, monokote, unlike some other coverings, seems to have a film layer, a pigment layer and an adhesiver layer. Sometimes you'll only get the film or film and pigment. When that happens, I usually just sand off the little residue with 150 grit. Most of the area will come off pretty easily, but the adhesive seems to stick tighter to fiberglass and epoxy than to balsa, so those areas may need to be sanded clean.