Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Cortex Gyro with Conards

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Cortex Gyro with Conards

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 11:18 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Cortex Gyro with Conards

Ok, I cant belive I did it but I went and got a Cortex becouse of you guys.. LOL No really it was becouse I have used the cheaper Iceman Gyro in my war birds while it has been great, I could not figure out the delta wing config, and everyone talkes about how easy this Cortex is to use, so I figured I would just have to man up and give it a shot.

So I got it for my Carf Eurosport, new gen with K140. I love this jet, but hate how it rocks it wings when at mid to low speed like doing a horzonal figure 8 at 1/2 power, or how it will wag its tail when there is a cross wind.

So I have been waching youtube and got a few questions.

Since this is a delta wing with 1 servo per wing, can I also plug my single servo that operates my Conards in the gyro? Which slot?

Also Since Ill have the slots would it be ok to plug the rudder and nose wheel in?

Exsample, will this work?

1. Left Ail/Elv
2. Righ Ail/Elv
3. Conard
4. Rudder
5. Nose wheel

I have seen Youtube vids that say start off with gains in the 20's and others in the 40's with spectrum, but these were not jets,

I was thinking of setting it up with 2 gain settings, high gain with the landing gear down, and low gain while flying after I figure out what gain values work best.

I wish these gyros would have 6 functions as most of my jets have 2 elevators, 2 ali, rudder, but have to leave off the nose wheel wich sucks.

Anything eles I should now before I start?

Thanks Mike
Old 06-16-2015, 12:15 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 377 Likes on 304 Posts

Plug the stuff in, do the learning sequence.

It will detect what input moves when each axis is called.

The go over everything making sure the surfaces are moving in the correct direction in relation to aircraft movements.

Start with a fairly low gain and work your way up, especially in your case since you already know how it flies without a gyro.

No issue bumping the gain with the gear down, that's exactly how I do it.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:24 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Be careful putting the gyro on the nose steering. It will still make corrections while the gear is up and you need to make sure it does not bind with the gear up or your going to burn the servo up. Best to use a stand alone gyro for nose steering.
Old 06-16-2015, 12:37 PM
siclick33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can turn off individual channel gyro stabilisation using the software. For example, you could have nose steering stabilisation on when using bank 1 and off when using bank 2. This may or may not help depending on your setup.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:26 PM
DrScoles
My Feedback: (18)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Or just null the steering once the gear switch is in the up position… thats how I do it with futaba. I have the cortex in a rookie II. I didn't put it on the canards. Let us know how it goes. Curious if two flight surfaces trying to change the same thing could cause an oscillation or something?
Old 06-16-2015, 02:37 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DrScoles
Or just null the steering once the gear switch is in the up position… thats how I do it with futaba. I have the cortex in a rookie II. I didn't put it on the canards. Let us know how it goes. Curious if two flight surfaces trying to change the same thing could cause an oscillation or something?

I use the cortex on my F22 and have tailerons with ailerons and it works great. BTW even if you null the servo when gear is up the gyro will still input corrections so this will burn the servo out if it cant move. You could do what Slick suggested.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Mike,

I have been using a Cortex in my Eurosport for about a year. I have full time canards working in pitch. Canard movement is per Euro manual. The cortex moves both the elevons and canards however the canards move very little from Cortex inputs.

I started with 20% gain and now fly at 40% all the time. It stops the wing rock except in the most gusty winds. It makes crosswind and gusty wind landings much easier.

Recently we had a local fly-in and the winds were very bad. Almost no one was flying. I put in 7 flights and folks were amazed. I'm not that good of a pilot so my answer to the questions about "how do you do that"…one word, Cortex!

Just put it in and program it and you will love it.

Gary
Old 06-16-2015, 05:46 PM
mikes68charger

Thanks guys. It took about 20min to install, it would of taking 10min if I didn't install the gyro backwards. Why wouldn't they make the cool side go forward. Lol

I installed it like

1. Left Ail/Elv
2. Righ Ail/Elv
3. Conard
4. Rudder
5. Nose wheel

I set gyro for
1. Off
2. 35
3. 42

I couldn't ask for a easter install

Thanks can't wait to see her fly this weekend
Old 06-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

Mike,

Let us know how it goes.

Gary
Old 06-23-2015, 02:14 AM
DEMONjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you do not have a thrust vector installed obviously, and you have a seperate channel available for the nose wheel, you could do the following:

Set flight modes for bank 1 and bank 2, controlled by the gear switch.
Bank 1 (gear down): All channels inabled incl. nose wheel, higher gain set for take-off an landing anytime the gear is out.
Bank 2: Disable channel for the nose wheel, in your example I assume this is 'E', and set a lower gain for faster flying.

If you would use a seperate gyro for the nose wheel, you would even be able to add the thrust vector and have the flight gains controlled by the flap switch, which would be more perfect in regards to switching the gains depending on the flight condition.

Just as a side note: we do have the same plane here for testing and have the nose wheel not connected at all, simply limited in its tilt angle. The rest is done by the thrust vector on the ground. Rudder is also fix. So CORTEX is connected with Elevon1/Elevon2/Canards/Thrust rudder/Thrust elevator.
Old 06-24-2015, 03:28 PM
mikes68charger

Well I try not to jump on the band wagon but I have to say WOW

It completely changed the Eurosport not a single time did the tail wag or wings rock in slow horzontal figure 8s.

I found my self more comfortable lower to the ground as my flybys were so rock solid. Even at my fastest high speed pass

Set my gain at 35 moved it up to 38. It even got rid of the crazy wing rock during landing approach.

Compared to my 5 Iceman gyros this one wins hands down.

Thanks guys
Old 06-25-2015, 04:24 AM
DEMONjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
Well I try not to jump on the band wagon but I have to say WOW
It completely changed the Eurosport not a single time did the tail wag or wings rock in slow horzontal figure 8s.
I found my self more comfortable lower to the ground as my flybys were so rock solid. Even at my fastest high speed pass
Set my gain at 35 moved it up to 38. It even got rid of the crazy wing rock during landing approach.
Compared to my 5 Iceman gyros this one wins hands down.
Thanks guys
Great to hear....and nothing else expected from the experience of the past 2.5 years
Only a setup failure on the electronics or the mechanics can kill the result.
Enjoy and have fun with this awesome bird.