Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jetcat ecu battery 3 cell LiFepo

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jetcat ecu battery 3 cell LiFepo

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2015, 07:27 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jetcat ecu battery 3 cell LiFepo

Need some help with these batteries.

When I charge on cellpro I have a gp/ko board that fits the balancer 3s. I set to a123 2100 and start to charge.

The initial read is 43% and then in a matter of minutes it is 92 right up to 99/100% at 10.9/11 volts.

When I check it with one amp it drops to 9.6/9.8. Resting no load 10.2.

Is this normal?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 08-04-2015, 07:51 PM
Jetkopter
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave run a discharge on it and see how many milliamps you get out of it. For some reason the cell pro percentage of charge is not accurate
Old 08-04-2015, 07:58 PM
AKB
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Dave, if those are Duralites Li Fe's I think its says that you do a no load to test them for voltage on the test lead.

Good Luck
Alan
Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 PM
ddennison
My Feedback: (15)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is a good no load voltage to use as a go/no go test?
Old 08-05-2015, 01:33 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 745 Likes on 539 Posts

Li-fe pack like JetCat use will do that, you cannot judge charge state on voltage, I use a Graupner charger, and it reaches high voltages quite quickly, but continues to charge for a good time. You don't seem to be able to push the charge current either, I charge 1c and any top up charge is below that (1A)
They are nothing like A123 which take a hammering
Old 08-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Dave Wilshere

Received 745 Likes on 539 Posts

Originally Posted by ddennison
What is a good no load voltage to use as a go/no go test?
9.9v! But my rule is if it has the energy to start, it will fly a flight! The voltage will plummet during a start, the 2100 packs are only good for a safe 3 flights
Old 08-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have been running 123batts charging with cellpro 4 for 5yrs now. That is normal, the percentage is not very accurate. What is most important is how many ma you put into the battery.
Vin...
Old 08-05-2015, 04:27 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere
9.9v! But my rule is if it has the energy to start, it will fly a flight! The voltage will plummet during a start, the 2100 packs are only good for a safe 3 flights
I thought that 10 years ago at Florida International Jet Rally. I believe it was when Duralites first came out, but may have been another new battery (any how, it was a new battery chemistry), and although my engine started, it did die mid-flight and was confirmed to the the battery voltage after slightly rough landing.

Needless to say, that's the last time I used that as my measure of go/no go; and I've never had a battery related issue since.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:02 AM
Lance Campbell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,
I picked up one of these a few years ago, and love it.... simple quick solution to double check if there's any doubt. I keep it my transmitter case to have on the flight line in-case I question if I got a particular battery charged or not at the last minute.

http://www.electrodynam.com/store/EDR-207.html

With this adapter to handle the 3 cells:

http://www.electrodynam.com/store/EDN-XH-CP.shtml

That's assuming they are Andy's A123, and have his normal balance leads.

There is even a sticker on it as a reminder that if it's below 3.3 volts on any cell, it's a no-go. 3.3 or higher, go fly.

Oh, and by the way, as said above, the percentage on that charger is near useless. I use it all the time, and I know the pack it only around 30% drained, and it thinks it only has 20% left, when I start charging. Notice the actual Milliamps that is being put back in it, as a real yardstick of how down it was.

Lance

Last edited by Lance Campbell; 08-06-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:52 AM
David Gladwin

Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Wilshere

Don't fall into that trap, Dave, I thought exactly that then was faced with a flamed out landing with a Hawk at CJ a couple of years ago !

It, the JetCat 180 RX, started fine on its Jetcat Life pack, but didn't last.

Thats what my big jets now have dual ecu batteries with an Emcotec units to share power !

David.