Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Gasoline smell in an apartment?

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Gasoline smell in an apartment?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 04:15 AM
JimmyZep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasoline smell in an apartment?

If things go right I may want to get into a Gasoline powered plane.

How bad is the smell, I live in an apartment, 1 room studio.

To those who do this how is it working for you?

Jimmy
Old 10-22-2015, 04:59 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Auto gas stinks. But you have options:

You may want to consider Avgas 100 low lead. The smell is pleasant, what little there is, and storage stability is measured in years, not weeks. Mix the same with oil as auto gas. It costs about 1 1/2 - 2x what auto gas costs. Buy at your local muni airport. Avgas burns very clean. The only small downside I've found is a very slight rpm reduction (100-200) compared to premium auto gas, which doesn't matter in most apps..

Where you live you should be able to find Pure Gas which has very little smell (similar to Avgas) and is 100% gasoline without all the additives that make auto gas stink. Stability is also very good from what I hear. I can't get this gasoline where I live so I don't have personal experience. Hopefully someone with personal experience will chime in.
Old 10-22-2015, 05:03 AM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stored my gasser and fuel jug in a tiny (3' x 5') climate-controlled storage locker for about a year. I would drain the tank after each flying session and I was never able to smell gasoline when I opened the storage locker. Maybe my sense of smell isn't very good.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:56 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It does help to drain the gas each time. You can also cap the vent line but this can cause issues. For one you can forget to unplug the vent and the plane will die about 3 minutes into the flight. Secondly, extreme temp changes can suck the tank closed or pop the stopper out of it. Storing inside and apartment wont cause this issue, but lets say you put the plane inside your vehicle and stop and have lunch on a sunny day. Inside your car can get really hot and it could push off a fuel line or pop the stopper. I have not tried it but have heard of guys using the premix. It is a lot higher than gas. But it is stable and will hold all winter. You would need to add a little oil as it is 50:1 mixed.

David
Old 10-22-2015, 12:07 PM
thepamster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in a 500sq. ft. apartment. I have a number of planes including two gas planes. One of my gas planes sits at the foot of my bed. I use regular pump gas and drain my tank at the end of the day. I don't smell anything except maybe at first when I get home from flying. But that is the same with glow fuel and I think that smells far worse.
I only by my gas about 1/2 gallon at a time and do not keep any for storage. The can goes out on the patio so it is not inside.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:18 AM
Xpress

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just drain the tank completely, wipe the airplane clean, and store in a room with a window cracked.

Mine sit in a basement room that's closed off most of the week and I can hardly smell anything when I go in there- my fuel pump can is stored in there too.