Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Buggy engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2003, 04:32 PM
kennebell50

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buggy engine

I have a Kanai 2 and I want to know if there is a good engine out there that has a pull start I can put in my buggy. I don't want to lug my starter box around everywhere. Is there any that would be a direct fit for it. I don't want a low end cheappie, it has to be atleast 2.4 or more hp.
Old 10-18-2003, 04:40 PM
RaZ_Tx

Default RE: Buggy engine

2.4 hp isnt cheap was an article in this months rc car action i think it was cant find mine right now comparing all the big block motors and gave factory stated hp ratings
Old 10-18-2003, 04:55 PM
kanairacer

The problem that you will run into is that the engine mounts on the K2 will not accomidate a pull start. I know this because I put a .25 HPI with rotostart in my kanai/truggy. (I have 2 of them) and I had to dremel out the chassis so the housing would fit. You can get a sports chassis or dremel out your existing one.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:31 PM
kennebell50

Don't want any .26 or .27 motors anyway. Was thinking more like a O.S. .21 thats of high quality with a pullstart.
Old 10-18-2003, 06:57 PM
kanairacer

the pull start housing is the same size on .21 or .25 (same block)
Old 10-18-2003, 07:01 PM
kennebell50

I'll just get another bumpstart engine then, just an idea though. I love my Kanai but get tired of dragging that box everywhere. I have a hopped up Savage that takes beating like you wouldn't believe and I need to take it easier on the buggy because it ain't as tough, but sure is faster.
Old 10-18-2003, 08:25 PM
TheMachine

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come-on !! you have a buggy...KII at that and you want a pullstart engine !!!!

Novarossi and RB don`t make pullstart engines for a reason !.... just get a C5 or RZ or P5 or somthing....its a buggy !(AND and damn fine one at that...you would get laughed at if someone saw a pullstart rope hanging out the top ! )

TM
Old 10-18-2003, 10:10 PM
kanairacer

true that...
Old 10-19-2003, 05:07 AM
nitrofan

Unless you race SERIOUSLY at a very competitive level, there is no reason to get a 2.4hp engine or worry about someone laughing at your pull-rope. to answer your original question, the OS 21RG is an awesome engine capable of bashing and lower-level racing and it can be had with a pullstart for about $140 Combine this with an 086 pipe from Ofna or RB and you have a hard-to-beat combination for about $200 total. No, it does not have 2.4hp (the RG is rated at 1.9hp) but the RG will spank many 2.2hp plus engines because of its excellent driveability and broad powerband. It will eliminate your need for a starter box, and if you need more power than the RG puts out, you are a better driver than I am. Combine this with OS's excellent durability and ease of tuning and you cant go wrong.

If you race, and already drive well enough to place in the a-main, then you may be better served by a more powerful engine like the novarossi, picco, sirio,
OS VZB, 01-BP, etc. but for general use and occasional racing the OS RG is the best way to go.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:59 AM
TheMachine

Geeze if your going to look at it that way just go get a Hyper 8 port Race with pullstart...it will spank an RG(plus the Pullstart set-up is much better,...and cheaper to fix !, have you seen the price of a OS OWB and ps assembly ?? Whao !)

TM
Old 10-19-2003, 09:01 AM
TheMachine

Oh ! and I just relized that you may have trouble getting an RG into a KII...the low profile engine mount means you`ll have to dremel much more out of the chassis than with a Hyper...those OS PS units are BIG !

TM
Old 10-19-2003, 09:31 AM
kennebell50

1.9 hp won't do. Right now my engine is a RB WS7, and I use every last drop of power. I'll just keep using the starter box and end up with another high end race engine. I bet it pisses alot of you off that I'm using a $2K buggy for park bashing. I've never been to a race in my life, but I like good products. You see where I live R/C isn't big at all. Everything I own I've had to order. No LHS, no track, no nothing. So everything I know is through experiance and on here. To be quite honest I love my buggy, but would rather run my Savage.
Old 10-19-2003, 12:04 PM
kennebell50

By the way MACHINE, I don't much appreciate the criticism, considering I'm the only guy that even runs nitro around here there probably won't be to many people laughing at me. Don't take cheap shots at my lack of knowedge. I love this hobby and have only my own experiance to do deal with so I don't everything about it like you pros. Or so you like to think you're pros, you all talk big but when it comes down to it theres probably nothing more than talk there at all.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:39 PM
TheMachine

OK, no need to be like that, I though since you had such a buggy that you would have been a racer of some kind...I didn`t know you were a basher with a K2. Its just that PS engines and buggies don`t really go together except in newb or RTR situations...and until recnetly all PS engines have been way down on the scale of power compared to bump start mills. Its the PS that just adds another area for air leaks and worn parts that will lose you performance much quicker than a non-ps engine. I`m not a racer either but I love my buggy and the starter box.....I`ve had PS engines in the buggy and they were not there for long until I removed the PS unit and installed a backplate.

TM