Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

New Spektrum DX20

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

New Spektrum DX20

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2016, 09:06 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default New Spektrum DX20

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodId=SPM20000

I know some hate Spektrum, but I have never had any issues with my DX18 and love it. There seems to be a lot of new radios hitting the market in this price range.

I love the different leather/plastic grips, and the carbfiber body, but the screen is still not in color? Really.....

I just wish some of the sweet Jeti TX would work with my Spectrum receivers, that is really the only thing keeping me with Spektrum, with 14 planes most jets with very expensive Receivers I would cost me a fortune to change brands..

I was really hoping Spektrum would of stepped up there game when they came out with a new TX..

What are your thoughts?
Old 01-27-2016, 09:12 AM
Terry Holston
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$1299 for 2 more channels? And still have to use the X modual thingy? Really? I'll stick with my DX18.
Old 01-27-2016, 09:29 AM
Ron Stahl
My Feedback: (12)

Well, as much as I would love the extra channels, with it not having sliders on the sides of the case its already a NO from me. Looks nice with lots of features but having the two sliding channels on the back of the case IMHO is a big mistake. I work with a former AMA national champion and he dislikes his DX9 for the same reason. But as another friend says " that's why they make chocolate and vanilla".
Old 01-27-2016, 11:58 AM
wfield0455
My Feedback: (7)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikes68charger
https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/...rodId=SPM20000

I know some hate Spektrum, but I have never had any issues with my DX18 and love it. There seems to be a lot of new radios hitting the market in this price range.

I love the different leather/plastic grips, and the carbfiber body, but the screen is still not in color? Really.....

I just wish some of the sweet Jeti TX would work with my Spectrum receivers, that is really the only thing keeping me with Spektrum, with 14 planes most jets with very expensive Receivers I would cost me a fortune to change brands..

I was really hoping Spektrum would of stepped up there game when they came out with a new TX..

What are your thoughts?
I personally fly Jeti but I have a few friends that are looking to upgrade their transmitters and currently fly Spektrum. The DX20 seems like it might be pretty nice. I flew Spektrum for a long time without any major issues but my DX18 did have a few minor issues such as display cables coming loose and roller selectors failing and Horizon took care of them and provided excellent service. Still if such a failure occurs while traveling to an event it could ruin your whole trip. Hopefully they have addressed these minor issues in the DX20 and made it a real flagship class transmitter.

Not trying to sway you one way or the other but when I made the switch from Spektrum to Jeti I was also concerned that it was going to be really expensive to replace all my Spektrum receivers. It turned out that by simply swapping my airplanes over one at at a time, I was able to sell off my Spektrum Powersafe receivers at a reasonable price and it really took the sting out of things. Some of my airplanes that had Powersafes, I decided they weren't really needed and I replaced them with standard receivers and I actually sold the Powersafe for more than it cost for a new Jeti 14 channel receiver. I took my time and once everything was swapped over, I eventually sold my DX18 for a decent price too. I've certainly not had any regrets since making the swap about 2 years ago.

Again, not implying there is anything wrong with the Spektrum gear because I think there stuff is pretty decent but if you would really prefer to be flying something else, there are ways to do it without breaking the bank..

Last edited by wfield0455; 01-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:13 PM
tp777fo
My Feedback: (28)

Received 131 Likes on 91 Posts

I flew spektrum for years and had no issues with the system. JR12x with JR receivers. I bought a DX 18 Stealth and out of the box the screen didnt work....loose cable. Got it back from HH and the gear switch fell out. I really worried that the poor quality control of Spektrum would cost me a 10k jet. Telemetry is nice but radio link is life. I didnt trust Spektrum any more and went to JR DMSS with a XG14. I now use a DX18 Stealth to fly foamies, talk about overkill. Best of luck to Spektrum and those who fly with it but it wont be me.

Last edited by tp777fo; 01-27-2016 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:48 AM
Victory Pete

I have been looking forward to a special Spektrum Tx for a while now. After being naysaid, ridiculed, harassed and banned from RCGroups, I can now have the last laugh. It is unfortunate because I have been a loyal Spektrum user for 6 years now. I wanted them to produce a serious new Tx, I even started a poll:http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2206088 I would have bought one in a heart beat. But after this half-baked release of an over-priced under-featured and very cheap looking Tx I think I am finally bailing ship. It wont be so hard to now solely rely on my year old Jeti DS-16 for all my RC needs. I am looking forward to being one of the first DS-24 owners in the future.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:47 PM
gunradd
My Feedback: (9)

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

The telemetry on the ar9100 has been broke since day one with it counting way to many fades on sat 3 along with improper directions on how to bind the telemetry to the ar9100 unless you go online ... Would like to see stuff I already bought fixed before the make new stuff.