Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more
Reload this Page >

New to RC. Looking for Tips on Constructing an RC Car from Scratch

Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

New to RC. Looking for Tips on Constructing an RC Car from Scratch

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2015, 12:25 PM
ssnover95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to RC. Looking for Tips on Constructing an RC Car from Scratch

Hey guys, I'm an electrical engineering student with an interest in automotive applications. To this end, I've become interested in RC cars as a way of implementing small projects. I'm relatively unfamiliar with the mechanical side of what goes into an RC car and was wondering if anyone could give me tips on where to go for comprehensive information on chassis and suspension construction. In addition I was wondering what the general consensus was on the best place to buy components like batteries and motors.

Longer version:

A friend and I are planning on building an RC car from scratch. This means building the frame from raw materials or even 3D printing most of it in later revisions. Furthermore, from an electrical side we're planning to do a number of projects such as a CAN bus, a motor controller, autonomous driving (like the Tesla Model S), a battery management system, being able to control the car with various inputs ranging from a computer to video game controllers used for the driving video games that come with a steering wheel, etc. We're looking to do a fairly large design (possibly as large as 1:8 or 1:6 scale) so we don't need to be overly conscious of space requirements when considering electronics as we expand functionality.

So far we've been looking for components like batteries and DC motors, but have thus far been a little stumped on what range we're looking for regarding specifications. We're college students so our budget isn't the biggest to make wasteful purchases with . What range of values of specifications on components are typical for this type of application?

Best regards,
ssnover95
Old 01-14-2016, 08:22 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've built a few RC cars from scratch, and the range of capabilities and pricing is unlimited. You can make a basic one for less than $100 or you can spend $25,000 on it.... It all depends on what you want it to do, your time frame, your skill level, the tools and workspace you have available, etc.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:34 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is a thread of a guy doing an awesome custom build on here: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-e...scort-mk2.html

You might also look at a the exploded view of a few models to see the parts used, ie: https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Ru...-Rear-Assembly
Old 03-14-2016, 12:33 PM
Driftpenguin

Can a gas rc be converted to electric if so what will I need to buy to start and complete this project
Old 03-14-2016, 03:51 PM
kistner

Yes, what model do you have? There are kits for some of the more popular nitro rcs to convert to brushless electric.
Old 03-15-2016, 03:27 AM
Driftpenguin

I don't know the model I got it used
Old 03-15-2016, 03:27 AM
Driftpenguin

I know its hpi
Old 03-15-2016, 04:31 AM
kistner

Can you post a pic? you have to know what you have before you can buy extra parts for conversion
Old 03-15-2016, 06:40 AM
Driftpenguin

How do u post pics on this site
Old 03-15-2016, 06:51 AM
Driftpenguin

Sf-1 is that the model
Old 03-15-2016, 07:16 PM
kistner

HPI sf-1 appears to be a servo.

To post a picture, in the quick reply box there is a row of icons, the 3rd from right is insert photo