Go Back  RCU Forums > RCU Rules & FAQs > RCUniverse.com FAQ
Reload this Page >

What i need to know when running in sand

Community
Search
Notices
RCUniverse.com FAQ RCU''s most frequently asked questions.

What i need to know when running in sand

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2016, 11:28 AM
The Saylors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What i need to know when running in sand

So my cousin just got back from a trip to the sand dunes with his quads and of course his rc trucks. We had been planning to go together this summer but he got an early opportunity. I was quite jealous. He came back saying that he had nothing but huge problems with every car so i thought i would post here to see if anyone has any pointers for us sand virgins. With the electrics he was having massive overheating issues especially with the castle sidewinder esc. said it only took seconds for it to thermal out and the vxl was about 3-5 min with fans. Also he was saying that his 5400mah batteries lasted 5 min before lvc instead of 25 min or so in normal conditions. He was trying to use paddles but that seemed to make the issues worse and bogged the motor a lot so he tried the normal a/t tires and couldn't really move. The only car that he could make work at all was the slash and that was nuking batteries in 5 min as well. He also tried his nitro maxx and nitro revo but destroyed both clutches in 30 sec or less on each. Also as an Fyi the temp outside was 85F. So my question for everyone is this: "what do we need to do to our cars to make them function in the sand? Is it a gearing issue?(we use stock gearing for the most part on just about everything)". Just kinda at a loss on this as i see tons of people making vids of them playing in the sand and was not expecting my cuz to have such issues. I would like to figure it out before we make the trip together. Thanks a ton guys!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:09 AM
The Saylors

Bueller?
Old 04-18-2016, 01:59 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I think you may need some lighter vehicles or less sand. Sand running is never recommended for RC vehicles, as they can completely destroy bearings, transmissions, and motors. It may be fun, but there will be a lot of work afterwards. Stick to loose dirt if possible. And to you not getting any replies, it seems you have posted this on accident in the "RCUniverse FAQ" section, which is for forum-related questions and not technical questions for RC vehicles. Your question would be better suited to the Off Road section in the RC car forums.
Old 04-19-2016, 11:15 AM
The Saylors

Ya it was my first post and i have since put a thread up in the trucks and buggies section. I cant figure out how to remove the thread (still new to forums lol)