Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Why Balance Charging Takes So Long

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 04:33 PM
RustyUs

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Why Balance Charging Takes So Long

I was getting a little discussed, the other day, with the length of time it takes to balance charge a 2S LiPo pack with cells that are a bit out of balance. 3S packs even worse sometimes.

I stumbled upon this video last year trying to dig deeper into the circuits of a balance charger and how the work. I think the guy's name, in the video, is Bruce. At about the 6 minute mark, he explains it well enough for me to understand, and maybe others will get something out of the video as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbHLacozFo I'm not sure higher end chargers have a different way of balance charging or not. That's my homework that I assigned myself for tonight.

If anybody has any input why I should look into purchasing a $269 charger (needs a separate power supply also)...I'm all ears.
Old 04-19-2016, 05:17 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately even the more expensive chargers are going to be charging and balancing the same way. Maybe some of the higher end models, like Powerlab or the higher end Hyperions, can actually charge through the balance port instead of only discharging. If they could that would decrease the time needed for balancing but I've never heard of a charger being able to do that. Then again I haven't been reading through the specs of many chargers lately.

Mostly what you get with a higher end charger is increased output per channel, multiple channels, higher wattage discharge, more features (temp probe, pc connectivity, more monitoring, more statistics of the charge or discharge, various discharge tests, etc). Some have a fail safe where you program the limits of your power supply and the charger will make sure it doesn't overload it. The guys who want all this stuff are usually flyers with big expensive planes and helis. They need more data on their packs and to log it in order to anticipate failures because failures for them result in a much greater loss.

The main reason to go with a model that requires an external power supply is the increased output capability. The power supply in a AC/DC charger is usually limited to an output of 90watts or less. Now you simply take 90watts and divide by the total voltage of the pack you want to charge to determine how many amps you can charge at. So for example 90watts divided by 16.8v (4s) equals 5.3 amps maximum charging amps. 90watts divided by 25.2v equals 3.5amps. Obviously the AC/DC charger couldn't charge a 6s 5000mah pack at 5 amps. Also, if the 90watt rating isn't the actual output in AC mode, the charger is going to use some of that 90watts to light up the screen, do processing and run in general lowering the max output amperage even more. In general most DC only chargers have outputs of 200watts or more so they can charge just about anything at 1s if not 2s. Some AC/DC chargers have a higher output wattage when run off an external DC power supply that has a higher capability than the internal one.

Btw I've done the single cell charge thing quite a few times. I have a female balance lead that I just attach to whatever wires I need off of that. I like this guy's idea though, neater than just twisting wires together on a balance adapter like I do.

Almost forgot. What $269 charger are you looking at?

Last edited by Maj_Overdrive; 04-19-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:52 PM
Redjet78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rusty why spend so much on balance charger that needs own separate power supply i have traxxas id dual and run 3s lipos 2s lipos and it is never taken me that long to charge my lipos and a few other lipos brand name charger and i most happy with the traxxas charger! I saw your post so i just tbought i give you some emput but its what fits you best that all that matters in this case have a good evening and happy home working Redjet78