Notices
Glow Engines Discuss RC glow engines

Ys .61 owners

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2003, 07:13 PM
avngr1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ys .61 owners

((EDIT) oops, I mean YS >63 Four Stroke.)I picked up a used YS .63. I ran it for the first time today inverted and had to play around with the mixture a bit. I ran powermaster 15% with the plug that was in it (YS?). I tached 10500 with an APC 12-6 , does this sound about right? Idle was fairly consistent at @ 2100.
It seems to run pretty strong. Its on a Pheonix .46 sukhoi. It seems as if I wont need the onboard glow driver after all.
Old 10-25-2003, 07:39 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: Ys .61 owners

Are you talking about the 2 stroke 60 or the 4 stroke 63? (did they make a 2 cy. 61?)

If it is a 2 cycle then 10.5 seems low- My YS-63 4 cy. runs about that with a 12x7-
Old 10-25-2003, 09:32 PM
Ric Herber
My Feedback: (62)

I'm running an APC 13x6 about 12,400 on Powermaster 20/20 fuel. I haven't pushed for more since the engine is new and is still breaking in. Either an OS #8 or an Enya #3 plug is the way to go. It sounds like you need to do some more testing and try another plug.

Good luck,

Ric
Old 10-25-2003, 09:47 PM
glowplugboy
My Feedback: (17)

I would concur with Ric, 10,500 with just a 12 X 6 seems a little low for the YS .61. Are you running a pipe or muffler? With a muffler, I would expect around 12K. With a tuned pipe, I would expect around 13K. If this is the long stroke YS .61, your power band will be at lower rpm's, not above 10 to 11K. Props like 12 X 10, 12 X 11, 13 X 10 will give you the low end torque this engine is designed for. I would also suggest the YS 20/20 fuel of your choice to get optimum performance. Hope this helps.
Regards,
GPB
Old 10-25-2003, 11:39 PM
avngr1

Everyone, Please excuse me... I'm a bonehead. I meant the YS .63 Four Stroke. Sorry I led the conversation off to apples and oranges. The Nitro must be getting to my head. Sorry again. And thanks to the YS owners who replied.
Old 10-26-2003, 02:46 AM
MarkNovack
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The YS should idle at 2000, no more or less. This is important in regards to how the induction system works. Try for a 2000 idle and if it gives you trouble, try 20% nito fuel (Coolpower is my brand of choice, but I am sure that Wildcat or Powermaster fuels are great too).

Your high-end is in a good place. I get a little over 11K with a 13-4W APC on 30%. I use 20% nitro minimum in YS 4-strokes and normally use 30% Heli as I don't like switching fuel bottles for different motors.

Mark
Old 10-26-2003, 09:35 AM
avngr1

I was hoping not to switch fuel bottles as well. My other Four strokes are Enya and an ASP. I dont think Any of them like 20 %.
Peopole make it seeem as if its a PITA to set these engines, It doesent seem to be a deserved reputation. Thanks, I guess i'm on the right track now.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:00 AM
Troy Newman

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ys .63 owners

Most people that have trouble get fixated on tweaking the needles..Another thing I find very common is they are afraid of nitro....While yes more nitro costs more it does something for you with the motor....

#1 it makes the proper settings richer...When adding nitro your needle valves should be richened up and re-set....a common change from 20% to 30% nitro is about 3/8 of a turn richer.

#2 Because its richer setup the motor is less critical on its setup...The needles have a much broader range to operate in...Less critical and more user friendly.

#3 Because the needles are richer the motor runs cooler, it does it eat more fuel and as a result more oil...this cools the motors down a little and helps them out as the lubrication is flowing throughout he motor at a higher rate.

#4 Performance the 4 strokes all 4 strokes will like more nitro...The extra nitro helps with transition, and makes bigger power with the motor not working so hard.

I run Cool Power 30% heli in all my 4 strokes....I run YS's for competition stuff and they are outstanding motors...But even if you look to Saito they actually recommend the 30% heli fuel in the manuals of the motors....

OS #f or YS plugs are a must in the 4 strokes there are no other plugs I have run that even compare. They cost a little more but if not run lean will outlast the other plugs 2 or 3 to 1

The smaller 4 strokes like a little higher rpm 10-11k on the 63's is a good number as you get to the 91's 9-10K and above the 120-140 range they like around 8200-9000 for an rpm range....

Proping the 4 stroke right is important. The timing and cam gear of the motor is optimized for a certain rpm if you are in this range the motors will be happy if you are too much load slowing it down or too little load spinning the higher rpms....the motor will not lat as long and will not make the best amount of power for a given situation.

Just some 4 stroke words of advice....change to a min of a 20% fuel and think about trying some of the 30% fuels...If you re-set your needles with the 30% heli or pattern fuels I bet anything you will not go back....The other 4 strokers in your stable will run well on these higher test fuels as well.

Troy Newman
Team JR, YS Performance Rep
Old 10-26-2003, 10:23 AM
avngr1

Default RE: Ys .63 owners

Thank you. I will try the 30% nitro. I will be adding more YS products to the line up in the future.