Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Glow to Electric Conversions
Reload this Page >

Limbo Dancer conversion on a budget

Community
Search
Notices
Glow to Electric Conversions Discuss glow/gas conversion to electric here.

Limbo Dancer conversion on a budget

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 09:14 AM
dorgand

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limbo Dancer conversion on a budget

Hi,

I'm looking at converting a Limbo Dancer I picked up for next to nothing into electric flight for my son. Performance doesn't have to be staggering, and thought the large cord of the LD would help with regards to stability (with small control movements !!) and low stall speed.

We've already got loads of 7.2V Tamiya style battery packs from his fleet of Tamiya cars, so wanted to use these as the source (ranging from 1400mAh to 3000mAh).

My thoughts were to go for a Graupner Speed 600 for the motor, and keep standard size servos.

I have two questions:

1) Does this sound like it'll work ?
2) What prop should I go for (direct drive)

I've read a few reviews on this conversion, but they're all aimed at high power, and hence have expensive motors.

Thanks,

D
Old 10-27-2003, 11:28 AM
Greg Covey

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Limbo Dancer conversion on a budget

Hi,

I found some specs on the Limbo Dancer [link=http://www.bmaps.net/reviews/limbo/limbo1.html]here[/link].

Name: Limbo Dancer
Aircraft Type: Fun Fly
Manufactured By: Balsacraft
List Price: RRP £49.99
Available From: Ripmax Stockists. Tel. 0181-804-8272 for Details
Undercarriage: Tail Dragger, Skid at Rear
Wing Span: 51"
Wing Chord: 14.3/4"
Wing Area: 750 sq.in. (5.2 sq.ft.)
Wing Loading: 11oz/sq.ft.
Fuselage Length: 41.1/2"
Tailplane Span: 18"
Tailplane Area: 144 sq. in. (1 sq.ft.)
Side & Down Thrust: 0'
C of G From L.E.: 3.1/4"
All Up Weight: 3.1/2 lb (56 oz)
Rec. No. of Channels: 4 / 5

I would use a geared Kyosho Endoplasma car motor to power this 3lb plane with your car packs. In fact, you may want to use the same system often seen in a stock E3D by GWMP [link=http://www.gwmp.net/]here[/link]. It packs plenty of power for very little cost.

Good luck!
Old 10-27-2003, 04:28 PM
Matt Kirsch
My Feedback: (21)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Limbo Dancer conversion on a budget

Just to add to Greg's comments, you won't be able to simply use the car packs as-is. There will be some reconfiguring involved, combining two 6 cell packs into a single 10 cell pack, with two left over of course.

The "take a car's power system and put it in a plane" method is why many old-timers still scoff at the notion of electric power. They remember the old GP ElectriCubs and Goldberg Mirage 550's and Electras that flew like absolute CRAP on a Speed 600 motor and a 6-cell car pack. To get adequate power from a 6 cell car pack, you had to draw lots of Amps. That meant HOT motor, HOT batteries, and flight times shorter than... Well, I don't want to be conjuring up mental images so I won't go there

As a low-cost solution, I would highly recommend Gary Wright's E3D power system on most any plane in the 3lb range designed to fly on a .25 glow engine. Heck, I'm using it to power a 5lb .40-size trainer.