Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Gas Engines
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Reliable easy 10-15cc gas

Community
Search
Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

Looking for a Reliable easy 10-15cc gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 02:25 PM
vwitte
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a Reliable easy 10-15cc gas

hello, I want to try a gas engine instead of my nitromethane engines.
I know the DLE 20cc is nice, but I don't have planes bigger than a .60 size at this time.
I know OS makes a 10cc or 15cc , does anyone have any recommendations. I heard a gas engine less than 20cc are not perfected yet and are a headache. Any clarification??
Thanks in Advance.....
Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 PM
rcboone2000

Default 10-15c.f. gas engines

I have 2-10 cc and 2-15 cc and 1- 20 cc evolution engines and love all of them.The 10 cc took the longest to break in they all have the pumped carbs on them.Mine all idle great great power I have never had a dead stick. I use still ultra oil and 100 low lead aviation fuel at 32 to one.I have gas engines from these to 200 cc
Old 08-29-2017, 03:41 AM
ahicks
My Feedback: (2)

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm just going to say that you don't see this size engine being flown 3D style - yet. I messed with 2 10cc Evo engines, both original and pumped, quite a bit (2.5 seasons) to see if I could dial them in well enough to have the necessary control in the mid-range. End result is I think they work great, as long as the mid range isn't that important for your purposes. Idle is fine, and they make great power on top end. Electric starter highly recommended.

Currently messing with a 10cc RCGF rear exhaust. These have the rear carb/reed valve design (vs. Evo front carb/rotary intake) which are known for mid range performance. Still low time here, but I will say it appears this engine has great potential. In general, it is NOT as friendly as the Evo, but you can flip start it without too much trouble.

Regarding advice I would give to a friend getting in to gas, I would NOT recommend anything smaller than a DLE 20. To answer your question, I would suggest getting a bigger plane, that will handle a 20cc or bigger engine, would be in your best interest. You'll be WAY happier with it. Get used to that, then maybe try backing down into the 10's if you're still interested.
Old 08-29-2017, 04:19 AM
vwitte

Thanks I'll consider. Last questions... I know the 10cc-15cc gasser manufactures line OS offer two types of ignition plugs. 1. A standard glow plug. 2. A spark plug

i assume the glow plug 10cc-15cc gassers are better ??

also, can I run those little gassers on 32:1 mix like a 20cc ??
Old 08-29-2017, 05:58 AM
ahicks

Re: glow=better, not so sure. I think many more might agree there isn't much of a loss going glow, until you start messing around at idle speed. The spark seems to be a little more reliable there.

The baby Evo's call for 20:1, and from what I've seen, I'd stay with that. RCGF is saying 32:1, but I ran a few tanks of 20:1 through it early on to "rinse it out", prior to going with 32:1. I can't speak for the OS engines and their recommendations, but I haven't heard of any issues from that camp.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:36 AM
vwitte

Bel-Ray , Red-Line , Sthil
My buddy says he prefers Red-Line synthetic. any last advise for oils regarding 20cc and 15cc ??
synthetic or conventional oils?

Thanks for all your help....
Old 08-29-2017, 09:32 AM
ahicks

I'm a synthetic type, converted many years back, and generally don't have any deep love for a particular brand. A good synthetic is generally what I recommend. None of the brands you mention will hurt you, but there are others that are just as good.