Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet flying in WA?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet flying in WA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Jet flying in WA?

Might be visiting the Seattle WA area for work and family. Any jet flying out there???
Old 10-24-2017, 08:17 AM
rgburrill

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts

Lot of jets at Boeing Filed and in Renton. They are just a lot bigger ;<)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:01 PM
uncljoe
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A GREAT Museum along with Boeings plant (aircraft ,Tanks)in(Paine field) Everrtt Wa. On the right weekend usually have some WW2 aircraft .

Semper Fi
Joe
Old 10-24-2017, 06:48 PM
karl hibbs
My Feedback: (6)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

With winter setting in, the chances are getting less every week. We are planning Saturday this weekend at Whidbey Is. but there is very few places to fly turbines on the west side of the cascade mountains. How long and when are you going to be here?
Old 10-24-2017, 07:57 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out the Museum of Flight while you're up there; well worth it.

There are a couple turbine friendly fields down a bit south in the Portland/Vancouver area: CCRCS & OMAS. The runways are a bit short, so you'll need to brush up on your carrier landing technique.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:16 AM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We are seriously looking into moving to the Washington side of the Portland area in the next couple years depending on how things go at my work. Closest field I have now to fly anything but helis and foamies is about an hour and a half away. I saw that CCRCS is about 300’... how short is OMAS? How active is the jet community up there?

Tom M
Old 10-25-2017, 04:12 PM
luge_racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OMAS is 450 feet and has two turbine pilots: Dave Davis and myself. The membership is low right now, but we're working to bring it back up. But, getting there from Vancouver, depending on the traffic could take an hour or more.

CCRCS is 300 feet and the airspace is fairly small due to the location, but we have 3 active turbine pilots (Tom, Paul and myself), one who plans to begin training soon and a new member who is looking to get into turbines. We also have a yearly Jet Jam event where all power types are welcome.

Dave Davis also has a private field that is about 550 feet of grass, not super smooth but good for most. He flies his CARF J-10 there. It's pretty close to OMAS though.

If you want a lot of runway, there is the Sanderson RC Flyers, but they are about 2 hours north and turbines can only fly in the afternoon and when there's no burn ban.

Frank
Old 10-25-2017, 06:20 PM
Digital Pilot

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the info guys. Not sure the exact time yet but most likely by the end of Nov.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:04 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by luge_racer
OMAS is 450 feet and has two turbine pilots: Dave Davis and myself. The membership is low right now, but we're working to bring it back up. But, getting there from Vancouver, depending on the traffic could take an hour or more.

CCRCS is 300 feet and the airspace is fairly small due to the location, but we have 3 active turbine pilots (Tom, Paul and myself), one who plans to begin training soon and a new member who is looking to get into turbines. We also have a yearly Jet Jam event where all power types are welcome.

Dave Davis also has a private field that is about 550 feet of grass, not super smooth but good for most. He flies his CARF J-10 there. It's pretty close to OMAS though.

If you want a lot of runway, there is the Sanderson RC Flyers, but they are about 2 hours north and turbines can only fly in the afternoon and when there's no burn ban.

Frank
Thanks Frank, appreciate the information.

Tom M