Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Need help with on road Car

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2009, 11:42 AM
djmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with on road Car

Hello I know this has probably been asked before but forgive me for asking again. I have been an avid rc guy for almost 20 years. I race dirt electric indoor and outdoor and also have RC boats. I am now looking for an on road car. I dont want to drift and am not looking to race as of yet but merely to play with. I will 99.9% of the time be on blacktop driving. I of course love speed and looks are always a plus. I am looking for something that is not RTR junk where I have to dump esc and other electrics because they are low quality. I would like to start with around 500-700 dollars and then probably get crazy with hop ups like I always do. I start out saying no it will be basic but when its all said and done I get like a kid again and go wild with aftermarkets. I have been reading posts and just dont know where to start. This is my summertime project so I would like to get started asap. Any suggestions and feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Mike
Old 05-20-2009, 12:52 PM
Willystylz

Default RE: Need help with on road Car

$500-700 will get you pretty much any high-end touring car.  An Associated TC5 with a brushless setup would be a good choice....or even a Hot Bodies Cyclone.  There are many good choices for your budget range.
Old 05-20-2009, 02:16 PM
skottoman

Also depends how complex of a car you're looking at having. Takes much longer to repair a Tamiya 416 TRF, than a Tamiya TB03.<div>Think about what you want to do with it. More complex? Better handling and speed. More basic? Easier to thrash and repair.</div><div></div><div>If I had that budget, I'd get an upper mid range touring car ($300-400), and spend the rest on hopups and Brushless.</div><div></div><div>Cheers,</div><div>Skottoman</div>
Old 05-20-2009, 03:54 PM
djmike

That range is not set in stone.Taking apartand fixing is fun to me. I have done it so many times in between races.I am figuring what I've put into my T4's which add up to over that after brushless and hop ups. Its easy to spend that money without even trying. My boats have added up with better parts like anything else. I am looking for fun. Speed is always nice and I intend to put a brushless system in without even thinking about it. I dont want to compromise speed for handling though. I definately want control. I was looking at Tamayia,HPI and Team Associated. I know what I like in off road but on road is new and looks like alot of fun. I just want ot make sure that whatever I purchase can be modified later of I decide to race. Right now its all show and play. I dont mind spending the money but I do mind if its wasted on a cheapo if you can understand where I am coming from. I am definately talking electric being that I have so many batteries,chargers etc. from off road and boating.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:23 AM
djmike

Anyone else?
Old 05-21-2009, 09:29 AM
AusDrifter18

i suggest an associated TC5 i have one and theyr fantastic good racing cars and if you wanna bash around with it... the chassislower deckis like $70 AUD so **** all american if you bash it and wanna race jus switch to a new bottom deckj and its as good as new... good cars... can handle alotta power
Old 05-21-2009, 10:29 AM
traxxaspede

also take into consideration how easy you can get parts. for me it would be HPI Tamiya or Associated because my track and LHS have parts for them
Old 02-10-2018, 09:11 AM
matskevichvlas

hpi sprint 2 flux