Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

alternative coverings to traditional methods

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

alternative coverings to traditional methods

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2003, 06:26 PM
Edge540Aerobat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alternative coverings to traditional methods

Hi,

I'm looking for ideas for an inexpensive and very fast way to cover my airplanes. I'm building a few experimental, but conventional layouts to play with. I'm not looking for pretty, just functional and no heavier than a plastic, iron-on covering. I will be test flying my designs, cutting them up a little, and trying them again. Just experimenting for my own studies.

How about the crazy idea of folding over some plastic wrap a few times, and then bonding to airframe with spray adhesive? I don't know...just a thought.

Any ideas will be great.

Thanks,

Dan
Old 02-01-2003, 09:44 PM
Tattooold

Or...try a different building method completely, that doesn't require any covering at all, already fuel proof, planes for less than 10 bucks, no ribs... from scratch to flight ready in several hours...a designer/experimenter's dream...creating planes that last longer, are tougher, and often fly better than conventional methods.
Check it out
Old 02-02-2003, 07:31 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The cheapast covering is Towerkote. The problem with it is that it delaminates. However, if your only playing with a limited life airplane it mayb e what you want.

RCPAUL
Old 07-01-2003, 12:59 PM
timfly1

WOW spads no kidding I had no idea looks like fun and cheap.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:48 PM
Shihtzutan

I heard from an old timer (he's gone now), that when he was stationed with the Flying Tigers he used whatever he could get he hands on. Beleive it or not, "yes" they flew model airplanes, but I suspect they may have been rubber powered. Anyway, he said the guys used to pull a womens nylon stocking over the balsa framework!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:42 AM
timfly1

Ya That is a common method for the rocket guys. They use a fiberglass sock with one end tied they pull it over and tie the other end then glass resen the rocket.
Old 07-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Flyboy Dickie

The July issue of RCModeler has a small electric covered with Reynolds Food Wrap. Gives you some good info on the covering. If you are not building to large, might be worth a try.
Old 07-04-2003, 04:00 PM
ballgunner

There have been some modelers who used a women's coat lining material that was, or maybe still is, available from fabric stores. It was a very light material that covered much like silk or Coverite and was fairly inexpensive in comparison to regular model covering. You might take a look at it and see if it will fill the bill for you. I haven't heard it mentioned for some time so it may no longer be available. If I remember right it had to be applied over a doped surface and then doped down. It was supposed to shrink just like other fabric covering and then had to be filled with primer before painting. The main reason for use was the lower cost.
Old 07-05-2003, 03:03 PM
Waltaz

I think Ballgunner is talking about Chiffon. It is 100% polyester. I does shrink. I use it for all open bay covering.
Instead of DOPE I desolve styofoam in lacquer thinner then iron it on at high heat.

Walt