Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Classic Cars & Trucks
Reload this Page >

Parts/advice for 3 restoration projects

Community
Search
Notices
RC Classic Cars & Trucks Have a classic that is at least 15 years or older? Discuss it here!

Parts/advice for 3 restoration projects

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:24 AM
zeus1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parts/advice for 3 restoration projects

I was sorting out the attic last weekend and found a box three dismantled RC cars from the 80's and 90's... a Tamiya M01 Mini, FF01 Volvo touring car and Kyosho Turbo Ultima II.
They are mostly complete - just the odd missing screw, damaged bodies etc The Ultima will be the hardest to restore. There are aftermarket carbon fibre parts that might not be Kyosho, I only have the front gold shocks, missing wheel from the gearbox and a broken front wheel.

Parts.... I still have the box and instructions etc for the M01 so this is my priority, it was also my favourite. I guess ebay is a great place to start but is there anywhere else that's worth looking? I would particularly like to find bodies and fittings (wing mirrors, bumpers etc). Can they still be bought? I seem to be going round in circles doing google searches. I read the M03 bodies fit the M01 chassis but I would like the same body it shipped with.

Radio gear and motors... I have the original Futaba ESC (MC112B) and servo for the Ultima but I think the ESC stopped working. I also have 2 original Acoms Techniplus transmitters, receivers and servos. With a bit of soldering all will still work. I used to use the mechanical speed controllers but now i'm grown up and earn more than most paperboys i'd like to upgrade to an ESC, though maybe not one with a built in receiver. Is there an ESC that would be recommended for this radio gear? The only half decent 540 motors I owned were a Reedy Firehawk and Trinity Midnight though the Midnight is missing. I'm sure I can find a replacement motor from that age on ebay.

Hop-ups
Are there lists of hop-up options for these cars? I don't want to fully upgrade them but I remember using a soft shock on the back of the M01 made from metal and it was sooo much better. I probably used one of the front shocks off the Ultima. Either way, it would be good to tune a few elements. I have only owned 27t motors (there might be a 23t 545 motor somewhere). Has any motor and pinion/spur combo been found to be best with these FWD chassis? I think I used to use a 17t but have no idea what is best.

Batteries
They were of course 1400mah Ni-cd batteries back then so I have the matching charger. What is the best type of battery for this type of kit nowadays? Can I just install one of these 5000mah Nimh batteries (using a Nimh charger) and hit the road?

Depending on how well I get on i'll start a blog documenting the rebuilds. I wish I kept the box for the FF01 now! I did find a couple of Tamiya catalogue too. I think one is from the 80s and the other late 90s. The 80s one has the Hotshot as the flagship car. I did own this, and a Thundershot and a Madcap. The Kyosho Ultima was head and shoulders above the Tamiya buggies imo. Far more robust too.

Thank you for any help.

Last edited by zeus1; 04-14-2018 at 04:53 AM.
Old 04-15-2018, 08:59 AM
Big Alice

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

You might want to look around in here. They have a lot of parts for older cars... Sabula Tech