Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Trying to get into 1/10 Carpet Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 07:54 AM
djyox
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to get into 1/10 Carpet Racing

Hello all,

I'm wanting to get into carpet racing, but I'm not sure what to grab. I know I could start with anything, but I figured I'd want to start with something that I could grow into as I learned to drive faster and faster. I know I don't need the newest top of the line. Something a few years old would be more than fine for me, so I'm looking into the used market I believe. However, short of Associated TC6/7's I don't know what other brands are competitive carpet racing rc cars? I know there are some newer ones out there that are at the top currently. But I'm looking to search forum classifieds, ebay, craigslist, etc. and try find a deal. What do Tamiya, Kyosho, HPI, Losi, etc have for racing touring cars that are competitive?

I'm not limiting a budget right now, but of course cheaper is going to be better. I've been eyeing a TC7.2 on ebay, and priced out some ROAR approved equipment to get me started, which should get me rolling all in for about $600, maybe not super competitive, but a newbie like myself going. Plus, a platform to grow on.

Thanks in advanced for any and all help! Side note, I would normally have taken this question to my local track, but everything is shut down as you all know.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:57 AM
bill_delong

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

I would get a used Awesomatix, especially if you're gonna run in a stock class!
Old 04-26-2020, 01:02 AM
HotRodHerman

My recommendation is to go to the track your thinking of racing at and see what the guys, and ladies, are running and if they have a parts selection.
It pays to race something that has replacement parts available at the track so if ya break, you're not done for the day.
Good luck and welcome to the most wonderful hobby in the world. (my opinion, of corse)
Old 05-13-2020, 04:08 PM
mugeyman

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

hi djyox well to help you out a little for on road touring cars chassis , for carpet or asphalt look into 4wd Awesomatiix , xray t4 ,, mugen mtc1 , team associated tc 6 tc7 these touring cars are tops in carpet racing these are belt driven 4wd and must be set up
correctly , usually on set up board with gages ride height , camber ,caster , toe in , toe out shock oil weights springs, roll bars tires and wheels , getting right motor kv and batts and right radio and servo and car body for your racing touring car , now you have to learn how to set up and drive it for the various track setups making left and right hand turns , i have seen guys test and tune for 3 -4 hours so they will be one of the people to be TQ (top qualifer ) and be in the A main final , hope i helped you .
i have an xray t4 touring car w 21.5 kv motor ok mugey
Old 05-17-2020, 02:00 PM
Greenvaterra

Can’t really go wrong with any of the name brands. They all have their quirks. All depends on skill level too!