Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Brushed 3s motors?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2020, 08:10 PM
Nictrolis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushed 3s motors?

Hi all, noob here...

A few years back I picked up someone's old RC10L. I've since mangled the Tekin G9 ESC and decided I would make some upgrades, on the cheap, with an eye towards eventually buying a new rig. Long story short, I now own some 3S LiPo packs and a Hobbywing 1060 ESC.

Unfortunately, buying the ESC I misread the specs and thought the lazy 14T Orion motor I had would be perfectly fine. The Hobbywing 1060 disagrees, and requires >18T for a 3S setup. The only other motor I have is a 11T Speed Gems, so that's not going to work either.

My question, after scouring the internet for hours -- who sells 3S capable brushed motors??? It seems like most max out at 2S, and the few I have found that support 3S are in the same range of turns as my current motors. Ideally, I'd find an 18T double or triple wound that is happy with a 3S LiPo feeding it, but maybe I'm mixing new and old tech a bit too much...

I really don't want to go brushless if I don't have to, old school as the chassis is... Of course, I'm already over the line, meh.

Last edited by Nictrolis; 12-06-2020 at 05:49 AM. Reason: Correction of what I want
Old 12-07-2020, 10:56 AM
Big Alice

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I think most 540 size motors will run on 3s. They're not going to last very long but they'll run. You'll probably need access to a com lathe and brush supply. I run brushed motors on 2s all the time without any problems but 3s will be hard on the brushes and comm. I've ran them on 8 cell nicad batteries with no problems other than accelerated brush and comm wear. lipo can put out amps faster than nicad, though so you'll want to watch the heat pretty close. I'd put a brushless motor in there if it was me.