Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

changes to make my tamiya go super slow

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 04:38 PM
shashydhar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default changes to make my tamiya go super slow

Hi, I just bought a tamiya TT-02 model. The manual clearly says that driving it at slow speeds will make the whole car heat up due to resistors. The thing is I don't want the speeds advertised since I'm a beginner. I don't want to crash it. Also, at some point, I wish to mount a raspberry pi/jetson nano and explore some self driving stuff and need a car that drives slowly.

Therefore, my question is - is there any changes I can make to make the car go slowly. Is there a different gearbox I need to use? Do I use a much more feeble motor? Do I use a lower voltage battery?

I'm an absolute beginner and still grappling with the RC terminology and so please excuse my n00b-ness.

thanks a lot,
S
Old 12-18-2020, 04:21 PM
bill_delong

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

easiest thing I can think of is to install a 55T motor which is what is used for crawlers, this will cut your speed in half:

Amazon Amazon
Old 12-25-2020, 02:48 PM
Big Alice

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

If you do what Bill said and run a 5 cell nimh battery you're going to be pretty slow. Slow is a pretty relative term though. It'd help to know what kind of mph you're looking for.
Old 03-19-2021, 06:08 AM
terminator3d3700

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are also transmitters out there that have a throttle limit switch, such as the Spektrum STX3 2.4GHZ digital radio system. It has 3 settings, 50%, 75% and 100%. I too, don't want to destroy my cars. These things are very expensive.