Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Xicoy CG Meter Pro

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Xicoy CG Meter Pro

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 10:49 AM
Jason_H

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Xicoy CG Meter Pro

Hi all,

I'm considering treating myself to a Xicoy CG Meter Pro, but it feels like it may be a luxury too far. Can I ask for those people that have purchased it, do you still think it was worth it. I really don't want to start a flame war about which is the best method for balancing
Old 12-04-2020, 10:51 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

Love mine and used it on all build.....measuring properly is a must, and letting them warm up before zero them for used....
Old 12-04-2020, 03:06 PM
Len Todd

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I use mine on every new build. Gives you accurate total weight and weight on nose wheel. Once you figure out exactly how you need to measure things, set up is easy. Gives you an exact baseline measurement. Then as you adjust CG you can visually see where the CG is going.

The Xicoy is a lot more accurate than an EZ Balancer. Especially when you are adding single digit ounces. I still use the EZ Balancer at the beginning of the component loading to "ball park" things and at the end just to verify.

I also take the Xicoy to every one of our jet events. Helps to do LTMA Certs. Most pilots don't know how much their plane really weighs. Some don't even know where their CG actually is.

Just need to make sure you have the right cells under the right wheel! Tail draggers, need a little more set up to get the plane level. But that is a minor thing to do.

I never have used the control surface instruments. But, overall, if you are a Jet Guy, the investment is worth it.
Old 12-04-2020, 05:37 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default xicoy cg pro

I have one and love it. I use it on every build and it allows me to quickly and accurately check my weight and CG. What I love about it is that I had to balance my T1 Jet and it was nice to be able to take the nose cone off and add weight as needed until I got to where I wanted to be, and being able to add a gram or two at a time until I get perfect balance. I also have it so that I knew if it took out X amount the weight in the nose my CG would move back a certain amount and I could fine tune my plane to my flying style. The angle meters are nice as well to set the throws of your plane very very accurately. One of the best investments I made. Just loaned it out to one of my flying buddies to check the CG on one of his planes and he was very happy with it.

Patrick
Old 12-04-2020, 06:52 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 334 Likes on 221 Posts

You will wonder how you ever did it with out one after you get it.
Gary
Old 12-04-2020, 07:24 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Canadian Man has a good video on it during his F-18 build videos... I actually bought it because of how easy he made it to set up. If you have a few jets IMO its worth it.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:49 PM
camss69
My Feedback: (46)

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

I have the Xicoy balancer also and I love it. I've also helped several friends with their planes as well.

Old 12-05-2020, 02:02 PM
Jason_H

Originally Posted by Dansy
Love mine and used it on all build.....measuring properly is a must, and letting them warm up before zero them for used....
Thanks Daniel, good tip on letting it warm up! I'm sure it will be an asset long term.
Old 12-05-2020, 02:03 PM
Jason_H

Originally Posted by Len Todd
I use mine on every new build. Gives you accurate total weight and weight on nose wheel. Once you figure out exactly how you need to measure things, set up is easy. Gives you an exact baseline measurement. Then as you adjust CG you can visually see where the CG is going.....
. But, overall, if you are a Jet Guy, the investment is worth it.
Thanks Len, everyone I spoke to who has purchased it wishes they'd done so earlier, so that's probably a good call!
Old 12-05-2020, 02:04 PM
Jason_H

Originally Posted by F900
Canadian Man has a good video on it during his F-18 build videos... I actually bought it because of how easy he made it to set up. If you have a few jets IMO its worth it.
Yes, I've seen that video - I was aware of it before, but as you say, he made it look super easy. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 12-05-2020, 02:05 PM
Jason_H

Originally Posted by camss69
I have the Xicoy balancer also and I love it. I've also helped several friends with their planes as well.
Oh yeah, I can see I'd become incredibly popular at my local site as well Thanks!
Old 12-05-2020, 02:36 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

One of the best "How To" videos on using the Xicoy....

Old 12-05-2020, 09:30 PM
camss69

Originally Posted by Jason_H
Oh yeah, I can see I'd become incredibly popular at my local site as well Thanks!
Yep, I've balanced three different friends planes so far... and convinced another to buy his own set lol...
Old 12-06-2020, 01:57 AM
Vincent
My Feedback: (61)

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by camss69
Yep, I've balanced three different friends planes so far... and convinced another to buy his own set lol...
+1
Old 12-06-2020, 04:52 AM
smchale
My Feedback: (67)

As others have said, its really one of those ‘how did i live without this before’ tools. I like that when you zero in on your preferred CG you can reset the numbers and store them on the unit. So in the future if you make any changes to the model (ie. Add ordnance, wing tanks, smoke, new batteries, etc) you can quickly set it on the scales and see how it’s impacted the CG.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:39 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

I cut some foam for a Pelican case to hold my Xicoy CG Meter. I can leave the screen in the case while checking the CG or surface travel. This makes it convenient to use.
Old 03-29-2021, 01:59 PM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 164 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jvaliensi
I cut some foam for a Pelican case to hold my Xicoy CG Meter. I can leave the screen in the case while checking the CG or surface travel. This makes it convenient to use.
Nice setup..

I used my iPad Pro with the Bluetooth option...works great and easy to adjust an see

Mine live in a drawer...they don’t travel at all.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:05 PM
camss69

Here are a couple friends I helped out with their CG’s recently. I need to start charging for my services lol!

The big Comp-Arf P-47 with a Moki 250 radial.
A one of a kind giant Seafury with a 200 gas race engine.
Then a friends new EF 35% Extra, no pic.
Next will be another Comp-Arf P-47 and then a TopRC Odyssey I’m building for a friend.

Last edited by camss69; 03-29-2021 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-29-2021, 09:09 PM
camss69

My setup obviously travels, I bought the $10 “pelican like” case from Harbor Freight. Works great and the price is right!