Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

Redcat Shredder V2 build thread and info

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Shredder V2 build thread and info

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 07:15 AM
juxsa

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Redcat Shredder V2 build thread and info

I will update this post as best I can with info regarding the build of my Redcat Racing Shredder V2. I just got it earlier this week so I'm still learning about it.
I am running it on two 2s 50c batteries and it's a blast! I put in a SkyRC GC-401 Gyro.

I am trying to compile all the info I have found from various forums, FBook posts, and YouTube videos into one source.

Differential:
Differential shims/washers. The part number for the washers/shims for the diffs is "Redcat Racing BS903-091" the size of the washers is "5.2*10*0.2"
I believe that you are supposed to use 1 - 2 washers per diff.
Diff Fluid: Posts I have seen recomend using 80k to 100k for the front and rear diff, and 300k all the way up to 1million in the center diff. I have 100k and 500k weight coming in next week.

Shocks:
I am going to be swapping out the shock oil with 75-90wt oil.
I think the springs might be not stiff enough for the weight of the shredder. I'm going to measure the shocks and springs with my caliper. I will post those measurements here.
Once I have taken some time with adjusting the spring preload and put the heavier wt oil in, I will look for stiffer springs and post a part number for what I find.

Motor Mount:
I read that the Redcat Racing Bs803-022 Aluminum Motor Mount fits the shredder.

If you have any info PLEASE post it and be as detailed as you can with part numbers or what parts from other vehicles swap over with little to no modification or even heavy modification.
Old 08-21-2020, 06:00 AM
juxsa

So I put 100k in the front and rear diff along with 2 of those washers and 500k in the center diff with 2 washers. I watched these 2 videos for disassembly
youtube.com/watch?v=qVzzWYTZQ-w&list=WL&index=3&t=0s

youtube.com/watch?v=M8OOrpLBYq4&list=WL&index=2&t=0s
Old 09-09-2020, 10:21 AM
juxsa

Welp! My center diff exploded lol. I have read that you can use Arrma 6S diffs for the f/r and center.
Here is a video to the arrma center diff swap: youtube.com/watch?v=wpQkkuhEDNI&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR2VUGToNJTE4Dqdgw5Ouau5-ik5yK-_OPdhppzbtRyK_Ug4HpNHsfqnhVU
someone on facebook commented that this is all you need to do for the center diff. "only need to swap the arrma cups to the shedder cups everything else is the same for the center"

For the front and rear diff this is what someone else commented "So the internal gears and the diff housing from the arrma work. The cups and spur gear ar the shredder. And you will need one bearing. Other then that it fits" and gave the following part numbers "ara310433, ara310436" which is a good bit cheaper than buying the whole completed diff. Before I do the swap I am going to see if anyone comments if it's worth the $$$ to get the BLX stuff.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:35 AM
juxsa

So I put in the arrma center diff but I had to use the bigger bearing on each side. In order for it to work I had to take my dremel to the diff mounts and bore out the hole to fit the bearing. I ordered 8x18x5mm bearings but the the bearing is actually 19mm. if you can find a true 8x18x5 bearing then you shouldn't need to modify anything.
Once the front/rear diffs crap on me then I'll swap those out for arrma diffs and post up what I had to do.
EDIT:
I also had to use the Arrma AR310429 50T Spur Gear. My shredder's center diff popped and the plastic cap was cracked.
Old 12-29-2020, 08:44 PM
brucesdad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by juxsa
So I put in the arrma center diff but I had to use the bigger bearing on each side. In order for it to work I had to take my dremel to the diff mounts and bore out the hole to fit the bearing. I ordered 8x18x5mm bearings but the the bearing is actually 19mm. if you can find a true 8x18x5 bearing then you shouldn't need to modify anything.
Once the front/rear diffs crap on me then I'll swap those out for arrma diffs and post up what I had to do.
EDIT:
I also had to use the Arrma AR310429 50T Spur Gear. My shredder's center diff popped and the plastic cap was cracked.
I liked this guy's technique. He just smashed the stock bearings and used them to fit the Arrma center diff. on YouTube (since I can't post links) watch?v=5prEN-SByiY "A real shredder center diff fix with the arrma 6s blx center diff and ingenious bearing solution" by MR.Sinister 1
Old 01-02-2021, 06:00 AM
juxsa

Dang!!! I wish I had sen that before I took the dremel to my diff mount and metal motor mount lol
Old 01-31-2021, 07:37 AM
grzzly

juxsa how's the fix working out?

Old 05-24-2021, 12:12 PM
juxsa

Haven't had to swap out the stock front or rear diffs yet but I don't take it out much because it needs such a large area to run around.
Old 07-15-2021, 05:46 AM
Drummerguy30243

Any luck on the shocks ? Wished I could find a rebuild kit since they are leaking from factory. Or find better stiffer shocks for that matter. Going to put 80 weight in them, To bad I can't find a locked center diff either, noticed most of the power going to the front so much that the front diff housing seems to be leaking !?! I'm going to shim up the diffs and use 100k on both front and rear, 1 million on the center. Would love to hear of anymore improvements you have come across.
Old 07-15-2021, 08:25 AM
juxsa

Originally Posted by Drummerguy30243
Any luck on the shocks ? Wished I could find a rebuild kit since they are leaking from factory. Or find better stiffer shocks for that matter. Going to put 80 weight in them, To bad I can't find a locked center diff either, noticed most of the power going to the front so much that the front diff housing seems to be leaking !?! I'm going to shim up the diffs and use 100k on both front and rear, 1 million on the center. Would love to hear of anymore improvements you have come across.
I put 90wt real car diff oil in my shocks. For the springs get 2 sets of the 07198 from redcat racing. (https://www.redcatracing.com/product...30993555587162)
Those springs are what should have been on the truck stock. I post every now and then here: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hread-and-info
The following users liked this post:
Drummerguy30243 (07-15-2021)
Old 07-15-2021, 03:30 PM
Drummerguy30243

Nice, can't wait to see what those springs do. Don't plan on running 6s, already experienced that with my old HPI Flux. Guessing the 1 million oil in the center diff makes a world of difference ?
Old 07-17-2021, 06:45 AM
juxsa

I think I put 500k in my center diff but it's an Arrma 6s diff now
Old 07-17-2021, 02:35 PM
Drummerguy30243

Still anything is better than what's in it stock. I just wish I could handle 6 cell I know I'm gonna break it if I do it.
Old 07-19-2021, 01:22 PM
juxsa

Still anything is better than what's in it stock. I just wish I could handle 6 cell I know I'm gonna break it if I do it.
Yeah the truck isn't beefy, but if you load up on spare parts that break frequently, it's a really easy to truck to work on and can quickly swap parts. I don't really "Bash" mine, I do mostly speed runs at my friends field.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:13 PM
Drummerguy30243

Yeah I like to do short course stuff and jumps and what not, Picked up a losi 22sct, been fiddling with that. Afraid to upgrade to aluminum parts on the shredder since it will break whatever is not aluminum lol. Any thoughts on fixing the slack in the steering ? Servo is tight but man there's slack.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:13 PM
Drummerguy30243

Got the new shocks on, it's like night and day! Kinda wished they were slightly weaker, in fear of a blow out, but yea these do the trick.
Old 07-21-2021, 03:07 AM
juxsa

Got the new shocks on, it's like night and day! Kinda wished they were slightly weaker, in fear of a blow out, but yea these do the trick.
yeah the shocks are ultra stiff lol. as far as steering slop, you can tighten the servo saver nut. I haven't really messed with the steering on mine yet.
The following users liked this post:
Drummerguy30243 (07-21-2021)