Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

takeoff chock

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

takeoff chock

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 07:38 PM
LouW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default takeoff chock

I have been operating from a grass strip, but now our club just completed a new 30x300 foot concrete runway. Even with the engine set to a minimum idle, my airplanes still creep forward. I made a takeoff chock from a piece of 1/8 in thick basswood sheet, long enough to span both wheels, and beveled both sides. I lay it down in front of the wheels and it is just enough to hold them at idle but the airplane easily rolls over it when power is advanced for takeoff.
Old 11-08-2003, 08:12 PM
jboy381-RCU

Default RE: takeoff chock

louw,

that sounds like it solves your problem...

that runway ya'll have is awsome...the club must have a huge bank roll...concrete is high dollar here in NC...

one thing's fur sure it'll never go anywhere

john
Old 11-08-2003, 08:38 PM
Combat Addict

Well you don't have to mow concrete either. What I would say to do is take some rope, put pipe insulation around it. And tie it to something secure. Like a chain link fence post. Then wrap it under you elevator and in front of you plane that way you can play with your engine then pull the rope off and go fly.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:04 AM
Stripes
My Feedback: (19)

Now if the idea is to prevent creep when the plane is put onto the runway we use another strategy. Epoxy a six inch length of string to the tail section. Take the running model out to the runway and put it down then step on the string. You can then rev the engine to your heart's content and as soon as you let up the plane goes.

This is not meant to be used for setting the needle. Do that before you go to the runway. Also don't run the antenna out the back if using this strategy. One of our guys stepped on the antenna by mistake and the antenna ripped out when he reved the engine. That model flew a half mile and crashed into a pond.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:54 AM
DBCherry
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also put a small piece of fuel tubing between the wheel collar and the wheel (on the front of a trike). If it's a tail dragger, do it to both sides.

You can then adjust the wheel collar so a slight amount of drag keeps the wheel(s) from turning quite so easily. This will also help the plane slow down once it lands.
Dennis-
Old 11-09-2003, 05:12 PM
higheronnitro

Easy alternative
Buy a block of Toblerone chocolate(comes in a triangular box and in a selection of sizes) empty contents (best bit) fill box with dry sand. Bingo wheel choc"olate" works a treat and can be replaced readily when hungry!
Regards Steve
Old 11-12-2003, 12:55 AM
rflasch
My Feedback: (8)

Higheronnitro----HAHAHAHAH Gotta love you guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1