Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

H9 1/4 CAP 232 Set Up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2002, 09:52 AM
Skarabb-RCU
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H9 1/4 CAP 232 Set Up?

I have a H9 1/4 Scale CAP 232 and was wondering the set up that you all use. Engine, Servo's, and where you mounted the servo's. Did anyone fiberglass the center of the wing? Is it necessary? Thank You for your input.
Old 05-07-2002, 12:04 PM
mindcloud

Default h9 cap

I have 2 of these machines, no need to glass wing. it is way over built to start with. first cap had os 1.60, had very good performance, but lacked ability to pull out of a hover well in 90+ temps, servos hitec 5625's great servo for reasonable $$. second attempt bme 50, same servos, however i made plates in rear for 2 elevator servos and one rudder servo(very easy mod, you only have to cut covering on bottom fuse) for balance. plane balanced good w/ the gasser and servos moved back but it was a balanced pig, plenty of power for hovering mavs ,but wing loading was way high, plane still was fun to fly but not what I would call a good flying plane. 1.60 probably best bet for power while maintaining decent flight characteristics
Old 05-07-2002, 04:17 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: H9 1/4 CAP 232 Set Up?

Do a search of all of the forums and you will find lots of information about this model and how others are setting them up. This model has been the topic of numerous threads over the last 5 or so months.

Cheers!

Galen
Old 05-07-2002, 08:20 PM
CAPtain232
My Feedback: (40)

I too have built two of these planes. First one with the BME44 and the second one with the BME50.

I took all the covering off and looked the airframe over very well. In the case of the second one, I found a place where the factory had BROKEN a part of the frame and glued it back together. It seems to be fine, but it was an interesting find. Once the covering was off, I found some good locations to drill lightening holes. I also used the carbon fiber gear from TBM which save a few ounces. BOTH of my planes weighed in at 13.75 pounds. Not bad for this plane with a gasser. At that weight, that is only a 31oz wing loading which is fine for this plane. Less would be better, but the only way to get less weight is to have less power. I have all the power I need and then some.

Jeff
Old 06-23-2002, 11:30 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

I have one with a Y.S. 1.40-L Master Airscrew 18-8, Standard B.B Futabas in the wing, a Tower high torque for rudder, a futaba 9101 for elevator. A Futaba 8uaf sends the waves. It balanced a hair on the nose heavy side of the suggested balance point.(I left it alone!) No tape on the wing joint, and the servos are where they said to put them. It is a real BEAST!!! The coolest flips and inverted flat spins you ever saw! Just go straight up an jam the sticks in the top, inside corners. Watch the throw on the elevator. Dont go over what they suggest on the low rates, not even a little, cause they dont call them "Snappy Caps" for nothing. Im not ready to be there spokes person yet, because I have only 6 flights on mine, but so far, its 2 thumbs up! Have fun, and watch the balance point, and the elevator throws in low rate. D.P.T.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:14 AM
visioneer_one
My Feedback: (506)

Default my setup.

As for my Cap (still unbuilt) - I'll be using the following:
  • JR 8231 digital servos on all flying surfaces (two on the elevator, mounted in the fuse)
  • Hitec 225 on throttle
  • CF pushrods for the elevator and rudder
  • H9 titanium links on the ailerons
  • Ball links on all flying surfaces - 4-40 size, I guess
  • CF landing gear (from troybuiltmodels.com)
  • Either 3.25" or 3.5" rubber wheels depending on what fits in the wheelpants (I haven't looked) - our field is quite rough
  • Sullivan tailwheel bracket for 10-lb+ aircraft
  • MVVS 1.60 gasser
  • 18x8 or 20x6 prop once the motor has been run in
  • Al spinner
  • 4-cell 1650 NIMH rx pack
  • 4-cell 1100 nicad pack for ignition

I've probably forgotten something, but those are the major items.
Old 06-24-2002, 03:56 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: my setup.

Originally posted by visioneer_one
As for my Cap (still unbuilt) - I'll be using the following:
[list][*]JR 8231 digital servos on all flying surfaces (two on the elevator, mounted in the fuse) [*] Either 3.25" or 3.5" rubber wheels depending on what fits in the wheelpants (I haven't looked) - our field is quite rough
items.
The pants will easily accept a 3.5 in wheel without trimming... I will be using the Dave Brown lite treaded wheels on mine...