Community
Search
Notices
Losi Monster Trucks Discuss all Losi Monster Trucks (i.e. LST) in this forum. Optionally you may discuss this and all other MT's in our general MT forum.

Do I need a BEC

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2022, 03:13 PM
Billyc032

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I need a BEC

Hi guys, newbie here. First time build. I have just bought a Losi mini B, and my plan is to stick a castle creations mamba micro x and 0808 4200kv motor in.

I have a new servox SH0262MG servo and I’m using a radiolink rc4gs transmitter and receiver.

I do plan on running 3s lipos as I have seen some great success with this setup.

The question I have is: Do I need an additional BEC?
the servo is 6.0v and from what I have read, the mamba micro x is more than capable of running 3s lipos and it also has a built in BEC.

I have seen a few posts on various forums saying that the onboard BEC isn’t enough so I’m just a little unsure of the route forwards.

would really appreciate any advice from you guys.

TIA

Bill
Old 02-03-2022, 04:00 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 132 Likes on 125 Posts

If your ESC has an integrated BEC, then no, an additional one isn't needed. Some will run a second pack for their receiver just to make sure they won't lose the plane if the ESC fails but this is more your choice than a requirement

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-03-2022 at 07:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:14 PM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

You may get an answer from someone with actual experience with that setup in the R/C car forums. I did however look at the Castle web site and read the product description. It does say the ESC is 3S compatible so that would IMO indicate that the BEC voltage output is the same regardless of 2S or 3S.
Old 02-03-2022, 06:57 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 132 Likes on 125 Posts

Now that is funny. My club runs 8S electrics and yet you refer him to a car forum? Why didn't you give him a legit answer if mine wasn't good enough? You do fly ELECTRIC PATTERN PLANES, DON'T YOU?
Why not refer him to Offshore Electrics where all they do is electrical models? They would know what works or not, without having to go with YOUR OPINION
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 02-03-2022 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-04-2022, 05:04 AM
speedracerntrixie

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Now that is funny. My club runs 8S electrics and yet you refer him to a car forum? Why didn't you give him a legit answer if mine wasn't good enough? You do fly ELECTRIC PATTERN PLANES, DON'T YOU?
Why not refer him to Offshore Electrics where all they do is electrical models? They would know what works or not, without having to go with YOUR OPINION
https://www.offshoreelectrics.com/
Because he is specifically setting up a Losi Mini B which is an R/C Car. And yes I do fly electric pattern but 10S capable ESCs do not have BEC capabilities. Reducing 37V down to 6V would require a big and heavy regulator. So being that he mistakenly posted his question in the airplane section I referred him to the appropriate section after I did some research. So once again Hydro, I will urge you to know the subject matter before trying to help people. I know you are wanting to be helpful and I can appreciate that but misleading information is worse then no information.
The following users liked this post:
Billyc032 (02-04-2022)
Old 02-04-2022, 06:22 AM
Billyc032

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Because he is specifically setting up a Losi Mini B which is an R/C Car. And yes I do fly electric pattern but 10S capable ESCs do not have BEC capabilities. Reducing 37V down to 6V would require a big and heavy regulator. So being that he mistakenly posted his question in the airplane section I referred him to the appropriate section after I did some research. So once again Hydro, I will urge you to know the subject matter before trying to help people. I know you are wanting to be helpful and I can appreciate that but misleading information is worse then no information.

unfortunately I did make the mistake of sticking this thread in the wrong place! Advise is much appreciated and after uploading… I did find the right place to post… “1/12-1/36 scale mini RC cars”…

I think I am ok without an additional BEC just wanted some reassurance..

thanks guys 👌🏽
Old 02-04-2022, 07:32 AM
speedracerntrixie

It’s all good. Glad you got a definite answer.
Old 02-25-2022, 06:06 AM
Propworn
My Feedback: (3)

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Speedy everything good with you and yours? Not that I miss him but Franklin seems to have left the building so to speak. By any chance he get banned from this site as well?