Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

MR Aerodesign 1/4 Scale Mudry CAP 10b Review / Build

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

MR Aerodesign 1/4 Scale Mudry CAP 10b Review / Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 10:22 AM
Nostromo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The landing gear struts will be
installed in wood blocks which were completed this weekend. This is a wonderful example of the modular construction and assembly of a few of the components of this kit. I also completed the beam that will connect the wing halves. It is incredibly stiff due to the 5 ply plywood.
Old 01-27-2019, 08:16 AM
Nostromo1

The wing center section moved closer to completion this weekend. As with the two previous kits, I decided to make the wing retaining dowels replaceable. I had one break in a crash of a Goldberg Tiger 2 some years back, and replacing a glued-in one and attaining the original alignment took some work. So now I install a brass tube into which the wood dowel friction fits. The back end of the tube is capped, but this time I installed a small #2 brass screw so that the dowel can be screwed in and not friction fit as before. The cap and screw are soldered in place. The brass tubes were then epoxied in place.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Nostromo1

Made progress on the wing center section and panels. The panels build differently from other kits I've put together in that the spar does not lay flat on the build table. It must curve up to meet the slots in the ribs, and being hard wood, I thought it best to steam and bend the spars to the correct angle before installation. I steam bent the upper and lower on the same jig so they would be symmetrical. This way, they naturally fit into place and minimize the chance of any warping afterwards. Following the sheeting, the panel sat evenly on all all the build tabs - nice and true.

Old 02-26-2019, 10:28 AM
Nostromo1

The wing got fully assembled this past weekend. Completed one side using the self-mixing dispenser (nozzle with spiral insert) tube of Loctite epoxy. Made for a rushed assembly because there were a lot of surface to coat. For the second panel I filled an empty tube set with 30min epoxy and went about it in a more relaxed manner.
Before the underside of the panels gets sheeted, I will layout the wiring for the navigation lights, beacons and landing lights. First time installation of these features. I went with units from unilight.at which is an Austrian company. The seem well made, and the 4 channel controller is very small so I will install it in the wing center to reduce the number of wires to be connected/disconnected when the wing is removed. No lights on the fuselage planned for the moment.
The biggest infusion of energy to continue forth with the project came with the delivery of the engine today. While the original plan was for a Valach 60, I managed to get hold of a new Kolm 50 which I had been eyeing for over a year now. The motor is work of art. Beautiful finish on all the components. The only problem is that the manual is in German. Need to make a pdf so I can use an online translator. A side placement muffler has been ordered from Zimmermann in Germany to complete the power unit.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:50 AM
Hank McCabe

I own a CAP 10 B where can I get parts for the wing?
Old 04-18-2022, 09:11 AM
kbeanlan

Looks like it’s been a couple of years… did you finish the build?
Old 04-18-2022, 10:24 AM
Hank McCabe

Originally Posted by kbeanlan
Looks like it’s been a couple of years… did you finish the build?
Thank you for responding to my email. I bought this CAP10B. It was a garage find. The wing has a styrofoam core. The owner never flew the plane and the engine was never started. When I bought the plane the engine was frozen up. So I disassembled the engine soaked it and cleaned it. But I have not reassembled the engine. The engine is a Supertiger 3000 it had a spark plug and electronic ignition, The CAPB is an exact replica of the real CAPB that the pilot flew. If you would like I can send pictures of the CAP10B and the engine.
Sincerely
Hank McCabe