Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Scale RC Helicopters
Reload this Page >

Matching mechanics to an old scale fuselage?

Community
Search
Notices
Scale RC Helicopters Discuss scale helis, and modifications to pod and boom helis that make them scale.

Matching mechanics to an old scale fuselage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2022, 03:12 PM
HedgePiglet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Matching mechanics to an old scale fuselage?

Hello! First post please be gentle.

I picked up a pretty old fuelage online, a Graupner/Heim Bell 230 and it was made to take the Graupner 'Uni 60' mechanics.
I have googled and cannot find the original mechanics, nor any reference to how big they were. My idea would be to fit it with a (near) equivalent modern mechanics but I don't know how I would go about determining what might be a good fit?

My question is this: What is a reasonably accurate way to match a fuselage with an appropraite set of mechanics? Years ago a 30 was a 30 and a 50 was a 50, now it doesn't seem there is a standard, or if there is I haven't understood it.
I have the instruction manual which states the following: (I will confirm when I have it in person)
Specification:
Fuselage length (excl. rotor) approx.1600 mm
Fuselage width (excl. rotor) approx.300 mm
Overall height approx.440 mm
Scale 8,1:1
All-up weight min. approx. 4900 g

The kit recommends blades of 688mm (if this is any help?)

Another post about building one, says the following:
'I am using the Miniature Aircraft Ion, which is an electric version of the company’s .90-size helicopter.'
Which would suggest .90 size mechanics would work, if that's a starting point?

Would hope to run it as an electric but open to suggestions. Thank you in advance for any help. H
Old 01-27-2022, 03:55 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 358 Likes on 288 Posts

Ya 90 size or 800mm would be my guess. Cool old kit but don't break it or you won't find parts anywhere.
Old 05-07-2022, 06:58 PM
mandalro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi my name is David interserd in building a Airwolf Rc helicopter i would like to know your thoughts and ideas on this matter