Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric On-Road vehicles, race cars and more Discuss electric RC on-road vehicles here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers, brushed motors, etc

Oh how things change so fast...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 06:12 AM
Txmustangflyer

Received 59 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Oh how things change so fast...

In doing research on upgrades for the factory five..wow..did I fall down a rabbit hole..

Found a group of guys, locally, that do a lot if rc drifting...and they have convinced me to build a 2wd drift chassis.

As a beginner, and knowing its not if, or even when, I'm going to smash it into something...its how many times...think first drift race in tokyo drift..that smashed up car...yeah..that'll be me..lol..I don't want to invest a 1000 dollars into a drift chassis just to destroy it, but I still wanted a good, quality base...the tumble started.

Pulled up different kits, got opinions, and kept going until I kind of understood what to look for...then I went shopping in earnest..and I found 3racing..picked a chassis and, again, got opinions. Nobody had anything wrong to say other than the transition from one drift to the other was a bit more technical with a 3r...but that wasn't a bad thing for a beginner.

One of their newest versions is the D5 sport lite..direct from 3racing, a 98 dollar kit.

this is where this project starts to differ from other rc's. A drift car doesn't need speed, it needs torque. Good torque and you really have to pay attention to the torque ratings on motors. So, to start because, for a beginner, budget rules all. 3racing had a speed passion esc and 85r combo in stock (still) so did a package order. Total cost: 150 dollars plus 25 shipping.

Next up was steering servo and gyro..all the local group use Yokomo..as I am new to this area of rc, and knew I may run into set up hurdles that I wouldn't know how to resolve, I've ordered the same. Thus, if I need helo, they know the gear and its just a field trip to the local drift track to get some help with it. That takes the chassis to completion..except..the reciever. Cost for the Yokomo sp-02 and the Yokomo v4 (amazon) 165.00. You don't go cheap on these, that gyro is the brains of a drift car. You want a good one.

Minimum requirement is a 3 channel, the third channel being used by the gyro..the recomendation was a flysky gt3b. I ordered two recievers as well...one for the traxxas, one for the 2wd drift. 10 car memory..solves the transmitters everywhere issue.

This just leaves the body for a 210 mm wheelbase..hello hpi...55.00 Paint 20.00 and I found a paint mask as well.

Max budget for the build was 500 bucks..I'm all in at 490.00 with all parts selected/ordered to get started.

Won't be teack drifting for a while..like anything..it takes time...and when it is time, some changes to the car will be required. Mainly based on track requirements. It will have to run yokomo DR-C tires, that means a wheel change. Those will be MST adjustable offsets.

Latwr on, motor and esc will be changed out for a readily available drift specific set up as well as the speedpassion esc programmer is impossible to find.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 05-17-2022 at 06:15 AM.
Old 05-17-2022, 06:18 AM
Txmustangflyer

The chassis:

https://3racing.shop/collections/d5-...eel-base-210mm

Old 05-17-2022, 05:03 PM
bill_delong

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

sounds like fun!

I used to have a cheap drifter for bashing around the parking lot in between rounds when I used to race on-road 5+ years ago.

I paid $120 shipped Rx ready... only upgrade that was necessary was a new servo and proper drift tires... I was able to hang with anyone with it, ha!

Radiolink comes with an integrated gyro built into the Rx:

Old 05-17-2022, 06:22 PM
Txmustangflyer

I'mma try to do build vids..but..camera wise I'm tech limited. Never thought I'd be doing youtube vids on stuff..

Old 05-17-2022, 06:44 PM
Txmustangflyer

That looked like an awd?
Old 05-18-2022, 07:38 AM
bill_delong

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Txmustangflyer
That looked like an awd?
Yes, back then 4WD was the standard for drifting, I understand that 2WD is more popular these days, but 4WD is certainly easier to learn for a 1st time drifter.
Old 05-19-2022, 07:35 AM
Txmustangflyer

Here's the body: https://www.hpiracing.com/en/part/17519

The end goal to be similar to this

wheels: https://www.smalladdictionsrc.com/ms...le-w-12mm-hex/

Just think those will look better.

Last edited by Txmustangflyer; 05-19-2022 at 07:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
bill_delong (05-19-2022)