Notices
Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

DLE 30 Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2022, 09:00 PM
pbeck39

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DLE 30 Issue

A strange one this but I have a DLE 30 installed in an aero works model that runs fine on the ground. But for instance today, I flew the aircraft for a full 7 minutes when suddenly the engine missed a little and then cut out altogether resulting in a dead stick. The fuel tank was at least 85% full.

I had noticed some problem a few flights ago whereby the engine ran well until some aerobatics were undertaken whereby the engine again abruptly coughed then stopped.

This pattern seems now to be a repeating issue which initially never used to occur. It’s making me good now on dead stick landings but that’s really an unwanted skill.

I conducted one more flight and yet again after around 5 or so minutes the engine shut down despite flying around straight and level.

Would anyone be able to shed any light as to what may be causing this.

I have checked all of the fuel system which seems fine, the fuel tank (equipped with two lines..one for fuel feed, one for the vent) is always full so it’s somewhat of a mystery. It also has a vent line running off the carburettor cover to inside of the fuselage.

Many Thanks

Paul

Old 06-04-2022, 04:41 AM
A. J. Clark

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

Just some thoughts here. With the fuel tank still 85% full that doesn't seen low enough to expose any bad areas in the clunk line. I would run the engine on the ground with a small amount of fuel in the tank for an extra check. If that' checks out good then I would look at the ignition, ignition battery , connections, and carb.
And what type of clunk are you useing?
Old 06-04-2022, 12:06 PM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Paul can you tell us a bit more history on this engine . Is it new , or has been in use for some time and suddenly developed the issue ? Are you using the OEM DLE sparkplug or an NGK CM6 plug ?? What baffling do you have in place to direct cooling airflow . Do you have a static vent line on the carb diaghragm vent ?
Old 06-04-2022, 04:06 PM
pbeck39

Thank you.

Some engine details.

The engine is around 10 or more years old and had a period where it wasn’t used for probably 6-7 years. In the early days it ran like a dream so this issue is only a recent thing.

At the moment it’s in the aircraft and operating without a cowl so there should be plenty of airflow and ventilation. The spark plug on it is an NGK CM6, quite new and with a gap of 0.20in.

Fuel mix is per the manufacturers instructions at 32:1 using red brand racing oil and 91 octane petrol.

I did install a vent line from the carburettor diaphragm that runs through a line into a small canister mounted within the fuselage. Carburettor settings are at 1.5 turns on the low speed and at 1.8 for the high speed adjustment.

The clunk used in the tank is functioning well and is fairly heavy but is just a plain old clunk. I have checked it and the feed line for any leakage or damage but it seems ok. There is a filter installed on the fuel line just before the connection to the engine and I have a filter fitted on the line that I use to refuel the aircraft to help keep it all clean.

I have read on several forums here that this engine is noted for having a burble sound at times which mine does as well but it would seem this is more of a characteristic of the motor than it is a problem and that certainly seems to be the case. But just why it “decides” to stop arbitrarily now is as mentioned a mystery that I could do without and always initially it runs perfectly well, in fact up to the point where it begins to falter.

Flying operations are at sea level so altitude density is not a factor either.

Old 06-04-2022, 04:23 PM
CK1

If you haven't yet put a carb kit in it , I would . It's possible that the diaghragms are getting stiff and unable to correctly manage fuel control and also possibly the internal carb screen may be restricted . Either of which could easily cause the symptoms you've described . Particularly a stiff metering diaphragm would cause your concern .
Old 06-05-2022, 11:08 AM
pbeck39

Many thanks. I’ll try.the carburettor as a final resort as that may well be the problem. Incidentally, can you interchange the carb from a DLE 20 over to the 30cc or are they different beasts.
Old 06-05-2022, 11:24 AM
CK1

The 20 and 30 are different carbs with different bores and metering