Notices
Helicopters - Full Scale Discuss full scale helicopters here

Marine Helicopters

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 03:13 PM
beavertail

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Marine Helicopters

I remembered something when i saw this forum and thought I would add it.

I flew in a few heli's in the Marines, and every ride scared me, But I remember one flight in a CH-46 Sea Knight in which there was hydraulic fluid leaking close to the aft rotor. I told the crew chief and he told me not to worry." If the leak stops, make sure you let me know!"

To this day im not sure if he was messing with me or not. These heli's were over 30 years old.
Old 01-15-2004, 09:17 PM
LearjetMech

Default RE: Marine Helicopters

Probably not. Usually means that it is out of oil.
Old 01-16-2004, 05:28 PM
rc12

Why ?
Old 01-16-2004, 09:56 PM
beavertail

He meant it jokingly im pretty sure, Those frogs leak hydraulic fluid regularly and they add it sometimes in flight I was told by another crew chief.
Old 01-17-2004, 11:29 AM
jimbow

its true ... if it aint leaking its not flying!..and i was a rappell master in the marines and if been in the huey,the ch46 and the ch 53... and there was aways a bag of ''kitty litter'' right by the crew cheif
Old 01-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Bxcar32

In the old Charlie model CH-47's manual (big brother to the Ch-46) there was a section that stated allowable drips per minute in the hydraulic system. While the Chinook had taken care of the leaks in the new Delta configuration, I'm not so sure that the Sea Knight had those issues reengineered. I believe the late 70's was when the last Sea Knight was built and there haven't been any more production helicopters made. We operate with a 3,000 psi hydraulic system. So now if you see a leak, its monitored to verify if it is seeping or leaking. Leaks are bad, very very bad.

As far as adding fluid inflight, we did it as Chinook guys just to mess with the passengers. I'm not sure if the Sea Knight crews are the same or not but if its an operational necessity, I'm sure they still get a kick out of screwing with the passengersw.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:52 PM
lovestofly

who needs hydraulic pressure anyways?
Old 10-24-2009, 06:00 AM
t3tj30n560
Banned

<h2><span class="mw-headline" id="Aircraft">Aircraft</span></h2><div class="thumb tright"><div class="thumbinner" style="width: 182px;"><div class="thumbcaption"><div class="magnify"></div>A VH-3D Sea King flying over Washington, D.C.</div></div></div>

The first official presidential helicopter was the VH-34 Choctaw, beginning operations in September 1957,and replaced by the VH-3A beginning in 1962. In the late 1970s, theVH-3As were retired and replaced by the upgraded VH-3D. The currentfleet is made up of the VH-3 Sea King and the VH-60N "WhiteHawk", which entered service with the squadron in 1988.</p>

The V designates the aircraft as configured for use by VIPs. TheExecutive Flight Detachment is the only Marine Corps unit to operatethese Sikorsky aircraft. The VH-3D is capable of transporting 14passengers while the VH-60N seats 11 passengers. Both helicoptersrequire a pilot, copilot and crewchief and the VH-60N's crew alsoincludes a communications systems operator. Because the VH-60N foldseasily for loading into an Air Force C-5 Galaxy or a C-17 Globemaster III it is ideal for overseas assignments. The Marines can prepare a VH-60N for a C-5 load in less than two hours<sup id="cite_ref-EFD_4-4" class="reference"><span>[</span>5<span>]</span></sup>.</p>

Due to the uniqueness of the VH platforms, all pilots andmaintenance personnel assigned are trained by Sikorsky factory-trainedinstructors. Depending on the Military Occupational Specialty,these schools range from 1 to 5 months and are taught at the squadron.Sikorsky technical representatives then provide a watchful eye as theMarines operate and maintain the helicopters<sup id="cite_ref-EFD_4-5" class="reference"><span>[</span>5<span>]</span></sup>.</p>

HMX-1 was scheduled to receive 23 new Lockheed Martin VH-71 Kestrelhelicopters to replace the current fleet. However, in April 2009, itwas announced that the Kestrel program was no longer included in theDefense budget.<sup id="cite_ref-VH71hold_6-0" class="reference"><span>[</span>7<span>]</span></sup><sup id="cite_ref-VH71canc_7-0" class="reference"><span>[</span>8<span>]</span></sup></p>

HMX-1 also operates a small number of CH-53E Super Stallions and CH-46 Sea Knights for utility purposes, and will be replaced with CH-53Ks and MV-22B Ospreys, respectively, by 2017.<sup id="cite_ref-2007_Air_Plan_8-0" class="reference"><span>[</span>9<span>]</span></sup> These aircraft also share the HMX-1 dark green paint scheme.</p>

</p>

<br type="_moz"/></p>

__________________________________________________ ___________________________</p>

<br type="_moz"/></p>

online money</p>
Old 10-24-2009, 06:05 AM
t3tj30n560
Banned

<h2><span id="Aircraft" class="mw-headline">Aircraft</span></h2><div class="thumb tright"><div style="width: 182px;" class="thumbinner"><div class="thumbcaption"><div class="magnify"></div>A VH-3D Sea King flying over Washington, D.C.</div></div></div>

The first official presidential helicopter was the VH-34 Choctaw, beginning operations in September 1957, and replaced by the VH-3A beginning in 1962. In the late 1970s, the VH-3As were retired and replaced by the upgraded VH-3D. The current fleet is made up of the VH-3 Sea King and the VH-60N "WhiteHawk", which entered service with the squadron in 1988.</p>

The V designates the aircraft as configured for use by VIPs. The Executive Flight Detachment is the only Marine Corps unit to operate these Sikorsky aircraft. The VH-3D is capable of transporting 14 passengers while the VH-60N seats 11 passengers. Both helicopters require a pilot, copilot and crewchief and the VH-60N's crew also includes a communications systems operator. Because the VH-60N folds easily for loading into an Air Force C-5 Galaxy or a C-17 Globemaster III it is ideal for overseas assignments. The Marines can prepare a VH-60N for a C-5 load in less than two hours<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-EFD_4-4"><span>[</span>5<span>]</span></sup>.</p>

Due to the uniqueness of the VH platforms, all pilots and maintenance personnel assigned are trained by Sikorsky factory-trained instructors. Depending on the Military Occupational Specialty, these schools range from 1 to 5 months and are taught at the squadron. Sikorsky technical representatives then provide a watchful eye as the Marines operate and maintain the helicopters<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-EFD_4-5"><span>[</span>5<span>]</span></sup>.</p>

HMX-1 was scheduled to receive 23 new Lockheed Martin VH-71 Kestrel helicopters to replace the current fleet. However, in April 2009, it was announced that the Kestrel program was no longer included in the Defense budget.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-VH71hold_6-0"><span>[</span>7<span>]</span></sup><sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-VH71canc_7-0"><span>[</span>8<span>]</span></sup></p>

HMX-1 also operates a small number of CH-53E Super Stallions and CH-46 Sea Knights for utility purposes, and will be replaced with CH-53Ks and MV-22B Ospreys, respectively, by 2017.<sup class="reference" id="cite_ref-2007_Air_Plan_8-0"><span>[</span>9<span>]</span></sup> These aircraft also share the HMX-1 dark green paint scheme.</p>

.................................................. ...............

fast money

<! m >
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 AM
Bill Vargas
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: beavertail

I remembered something when i saw this forum and thought I would add it.

I flew in a few heli's in the Marines, and every ride scared me, But I remember one flight in a CH-46 Sea Knight in which there was hydraulic fluid leaking close to the aft rotor. I told the crew chief and he told me not to worry.'' If the leak stops, make sure you let me know!''

To this day im not sure if he was messing with me or not. These heli's were over 30 years old.

He was telling you the truth! They leaked everywhere,,, Xmsn oil, HYD Fluid, engine oil and even electrons. The one type of leak that was t tolerated was a fuel leak

BV
CH46 F/L Mech
The following users liked this post:
wifeofdd (06-10-2022)
Old 08-11-2014, 01:50 AM
domer1234

I've never had experience like you. as you told,It was so scared if this story is real.
Old 06-10-2022, 06:07 PM
wifeofdd

Did this happen to be around 1993 while stationed at Camp Pendleton, part of 1st Intel?