Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

A Phoenix

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

A Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 07:11 PM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A Phoenix

Last year I had the misfortune to lose a Regal Eagle I put together from parts.

As you can see, the cause of the crash is evident. That whole outboard portion came off in flight.

So I managed to salvage the wings. They are sheeted foam and have proven to be very durable.

I decided to change a few things this time around, which I think, will be new and hopefully flyable.
I modified the profile a little and slimmed down the fuse, which had originally been designed for a Byron fan. I'm adding flaps and changing to flying stabs as well.

I don't usually take any pictures of my builds. I sit and look at it until I figure out how to do something, then just do it. Time I think of the pictures the work is done.
The original wings used torque rods on the rudders, elevators, and ailerons. The rudder and aileron linkages and servos for all were hidden in the fuse. The only thing expose was about two inches of the elevator torque rods and clevises.
This time since I'm going with flaps, the servos are in the wings for the flaps and ailerons so those linkages will be exposed.

The interior has been fully glassed and painted as there is no access when the back portion is closed up. I did the same on the forward fuse. I glassed everything before assembly and painted the portions that I would not have access to later in the build.
At this point I have the retract mounts installed, the wing cores installed and the turbine mount in place. The rudder and elevator servos have been installed, but I'm waiting on control arms for the flying stabs. I built a set of stabs and had them primed when I discovered the plastic control arms I was going to use allowed movement in the stabs from twisting. The clevises also allowed some movement ( about 4mm slop at the trailing edge of the stab ) so I have gone to ball links on the stab connections. I ordered 3/16 arms as that was the wire I used. I had to build a new set with 1/4" wire to match the available arms.

I'm now waiting on parts which I hope will be this week. Then I can close up the fuse.
John
Old 06-12-2022, 07:16 PM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

A little more information,
Fuselage length is 62", Wing span is 52". Hoped for weight is under 11 pounds. That is a Xicoy X-45 for power.
John