Gas Engines Questions or comments about gas engines can be posted here

GAS ENGINES AND HIGH OCTANE FUELS

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 03:14 PM
rmh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: GAS ENGINES AND HIGH OCTANE FUELS

At the risk of seeming silly-
who did the test and why is in not worthy mention by various (any) engine /auto/ rv / etc ., mfgr?
OR --do they?
Old 11-11-2004, 07:48 PM
Schpankme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The above post was changed to reflect the PON rating.

_________
Schpankme
Old 11-12-2004, 12:44 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I do know one thing, a pickukp will run on coleman fuel. But it sure pings to bet all hell.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:41 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

That would seem like an expensive fuel for a truck!
ORIGINAL: RTK

I do know one thing, a pickukp will run on coleman fuel. But it sure pings to bet all hell.
Old 11-12-2004, 09:16 AM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

GEISTWARE- A buddy of mine ran out of gas when we where deer hunting. We had some left over and gave it a try. It worked well enough to get him out. (older truck)
Old 11-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Stuart D

The arguement on fuel can go on for ever but here are some points to remember
:-Octane will drop up to 3 points in 24hr
:-Octant is only one way of measuring fuel
:-In any given yeay the fuel companies change the composition MANY TIMES
:-Even in a Australia there are something like 16 different "Fuel mix" zones all of the time
:- the only constant fuel you can get is some of the pre drummed race mix from one batch lot
:- Unleaded fuel is often very dirty

I was involved in motor sport in which had to use premium unleaded & these things
were just some of the problems .

FRESH CLEAN FUEL is the best thing you can give any motor !!
Old 09-01-2022, 01:02 PM
Aussie Roo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBW Walt
Higher octane fuels "do not" run hotter. They burn slower which is actually cooler. Higher octane runs at a cooler combustion which helps eliminate the dreaded knocking. In some instances the higher octane fuels will add a plus on extremely hot days. I run 100 octane racing gas in all my engines. They love it, it smells better, it has a longer shelf life, it mixes very well and my leaf blower actually pisses my neighbors off on this stuff. At $3.75 a gallon it should..
what engines do you run 100 octane gas in?

I have a new DLE55 and a new DA85. All pump gas in Ireland has 10% ethanol, so I want to avoid that. I can get Aspen 4 which is 95 Octane or VP102 - 102.

Compression ratio of the DLE 55 is 7.6:1. Don't know the compression ratio of the DA85.

I'm looking for clean fuel and cool running, not more power. Mixing with Maxima Formula K2 100% synthetic oil.
The following users liked this post:
Charlie P. (09-01-2022)
Old 09-01-2022, 05:07 PM
Charlie P.

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow! Way to activate a zombie thread. 18 years may be a record.

I use 93 octane in my gassers: 26cc, 34cc and 43cc, (and Husqvarna 52cc/Stihl 45cc chainsaws, 27cc H weed-trimmer, 747cc H lawn mower and 134 Cu. In. 1956 Ford 640 tractor that refuses a nerdy "cc" label). Not for the octane but for the lack of ethanol. I add a shot of Marvel Mystery Oil/gallon to the non-2-stroke Ford just to offset the lack of lead additives. Still pulling it's weight on the homestead.

Last edited by Charlie P.; 09-01-2022 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-02-2022, 01:14 AM
1967brutus

Received 95 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Aussie Roo
what engines do you run 100 octane gas in?

I have a new DLE55 and a new DA85. All pump gas in Ireland has 10% ethanol, so I want to avoid that. I can get Aspen 4 which is 95 Octane or VP102 - 102.

Compression ratio of the DLE 55 is 7.6:1. Don't know the compression ratio of the DA85.

I'm looking for clean fuel and cool running, not more power. Mixing with Maxima Formula K2 100% synthetic oil.
Are products of "Putoline" being sold where you are?
If so, get Putoline "E10 fuel fighter". It works. No ifs and buts, it simply does. And it is cheap and frugal in use.
I know, because I have a 37 year old carburated bike (and the worst kind: Double barrel Weber), that started to run like crap when the fuels changed from E5 to E10. The slightly different fuel/air requirements of Ethanolated fuel made the bike run lean because the carb jets are still set up for non-ethanol fuel.
The use of that additive has totally revived the bike. Last 7 years my average dropped below 100 km/year of use and no use the last 2 years because it basically would not start anymore after a prolonged standstill. But since using that stuff (I saw it in a bike shop March this year), I saw to my surprise that I did about 2500 km in about 2 months (April and May this year)...
I work at sea, so the bike always sees periods of inactivity for 2,5 months. That would normally cause issues for its first start after such a period, but last week I got home and the bike basically started like it had been used the day before.

I am not imagining things, I own that bike since '94, and know it like the back of my hand, and have done all work on it (including two engine rebuilds and a 16" to 17" wheel conversion) myself.