Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Aerofoam T-45

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Aerofoam T-45

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2022, 03:09 PM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Not sure why adding more weight to nose moved cg back. I always balance right side up and use ez balancer or something similar. We both seem to have about the same amount of stuff up front.

Paul
Old 06-08-2022, 04:10 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

For sure, it's a strange one, last flight on rotation it was one of those oh **** moments, tail heavy.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:42 AM
paulsf86
My Feedback: (52)

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not have picture right now but I also have two of the banana hobby pilots in the cockpit which adds more weight in the nose.

Paul
Old 09-06-2022, 06:55 PM
Andrewfordham

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey guys, I just got one of these from a club member, it’s brand new and will be my first turbine. Do you guys feel like a gyro is necessary? Are the slats and air brake worth using as well? I noticed some people having issues with the gear, so far on the ground mine are working flawlessly, obviously things might change in the air. Any advice for flying it?
Old 09-07-2022, 04:31 PM
jvaliensi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 113 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Andrewfordham
Hey guys, I just got one of these from a club member, it’s brand new and will be my first turbine. Do you guys feel like a gyro is necessary? Are the slats and air brake worth using as well? I noticed some people having issues with the gear, so far on the ground mine are working flawlessly, obviously things might change in the air. Any advice for flying it?
I don't fly this model but I have the FW version.
I use a Cortex Pro. I like the way it works and it makes a stabilized approach for landing easy to achieve.
I think for the size, weigh and speed the slats and air brakes are feature that has little benefit.

My friend Andrewjet has great success with his T45. He knows all the tricks.
Old 09-07-2022, 06:45 PM
frankmokaya

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Aerofoam T-45

Hi Andrew,

I had this jet and I can say that I do not think that it needs a gyro. If you set the throws per the manual, she flies pretty gentle. That being said, I did put an AR SmoothFlite 16 unit in it and tht made for a no fuss, easy, fly whenever, kinda plane. She's gentle so I would not be worried.

I used the slats and air brakes for my landings. Full slats and flaps for landing and half slats and flaps for take off. She did well. The air brakes you will notice have fairly weak linkage-servo mechanical advantage. Meaning that if you open then at speed they will just shut back up. So I found that I deploy them once on the ground just to get that scale look.

I have a few videos on Youtube on my T-45. Take a look and feel free to ask questions. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...-2CXEMVWwIQKGz

Cheers,

Frank
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4300.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	1.84 MB
ID:	2272228   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_4301.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	1.77 MB
ID:	2272229  

Last edited by frankmokaya; 09-08-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old 09-10-2022, 06:47 AM
Andrewfordham

Originally Posted by frankmokaya
Hi Andrew,

I had this jet and I can say that I do not think that it needs a gyro. If you set the throws per the manual, she flies pretty gentle. That being said, I did put an AR SmoothFlite 16 unit in it and tht made for a no fuss, easy, fly whenever, kinda plane. She's gentle so I would not be worried.

I used the slats and air brakes for my landings. Full slats and flaps for landing and half slats and flaps for take off. She did well. The air brakes you will notice have fairly weak linkage-servo mechanical advantage. Meaning that if you open then at speed they will just shut back up. So I found that I deploy them once on the ground just to get that scale look.

I have a few videos on Youtube on my T-45. Take a look and feel free to ask questions.
Cheers,

Frank
thanks frank! How did you feel it did power wise with the k85? The new k102 is tempting since it’s the same size.

As of now I have the slats mixed with flaps like you were saying, half flaps and slats, then full flaps and slats. I have the air brake set to deploy when I activate the wheel brakes

Did you have any issues with your elevator servo? Mine has been starting to shutter recently. I am thinking of replacing it with something like a savox 1270tg, 1230sg, or a mks ds9910. Would these be sufficient?
Old 09-11-2022, 05:51 PM
frankmokaya

I did not have any issues with my elevator servo but the the plastic that supports the elevator servo was busted. i fixed it no issues. But otherwise no issues there. If it's stuttering, it's wise to change it out.

I think any of those servos should work out if they fit. The only thing I'd say is because they'll likely have have more torque be very careful that the servo travel does not break the plastic bit in the elevator mechanism that couples to the metal rod that the elevators are bolted to.

Also one of my friends wound up balancing the elevator by embedding some weight into the leading edge. This way he was able to balance the elevator surface so it wouldn't droop when left alone. I did not do this either but my buddy Chris liked that it gave him peace of mind.

Last edited by frankmokaya; 09-11-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 09-11-2022, 06:13 PM
Andrewfordham

I did not have any issues with my elevator servo but the the plastic that supports the elevator servo was busted. i fixed it no issues. But otherwise no issues there. If it's stuttering, it's wise to change it out.

I think any of those servos should work out if they fit. The only thing I'd say is because they'll likely have have more torque be very careful that the servo travel does not break the plastic bit in the elevator mechanism that couples to the metal rod that the elevators are bolted to.

Also one of my friends wound up balancing the elevator by embedding some weight into the leading edge. This way he was able to balance the elevator surface so it wouldn't droop when left alone. I did not do this either but my buddy Chris liked that it gave him peace of mind.
I saw your video on sanding some of the material off the elevator to get more throw, did you sand just enough off to get the suggested throws?

by chance did ever clock your speed with the k85?
Old 09-12-2022, 05:19 PM
frankmokaya

I did not clock the T-45 speed. Yes I had to sand my elevators a bit to get just a bit above the recommended throws so that I could be sure that no binding could occur with the recommended throws.
Old 09-12-2022, 06:39 PM
Andrewfordham

I did not clock the T-45 speed. Yes I had to sand my elevators a bit to get just a bit above the recommended throws so that I could be sure that no binding could occur with the recommended throws.
where did you end up setting your CG? The paper manual and pdf manual listed it differently.
Old 09-13-2022, 07:32 AM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Be sure to double check your wing mounts for proper glue. Mine came loose after only a couple of flights. Thankfully there is enough overlap in the foam and the mount they don't move when they come loose.
Old 09-13-2022, 08:41 AM
Andrewfordham

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Be sure to double check your wing mounts for proper glue. Mine came loose after only a couple of flights. Thankfully there is enough overlap in the foam and the mount they don't move when they come loose.
will do, thanks
Old 09-13-2022, 12:52 PM
Desertlakesflying

Originally Posted by F900
I don't understand how your not been supported on these issues by either Ralph or Mike. What are we missing here?
Good luck getting that support, you aren't missing anything
Old 09-13-2022, 06:53 PM
F900
My Feedback: (2)

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Desertlakesflying
Good luck getting that support, you aren't missing anything
I gave up and sold mine, can't be arsed dealing with poor/sloppy workmanship, as I found out my main landing gear was not even glued in and other issues.
The following users liked this post:
Desertlakesflying (09-14-2022)
Old 09-14-2022, 05:25 PM
Desertlakesflying

Yeah I was dumb enough to give them another shot with the L-39 and that was a bad idea The only support I got was getting blamed for garbage workmanship, and then trashed by one of the reps, and lied about by another.
Old 09-14-2022, 06:56 PM
frankmokaya

where did you end up setting your CG? The paper manual and pdf manual listed it differently.
Hi Andrew. I ended up with my CG at 178mm (7 inches) as measured from the leading edge of the wing at the root (where wing meets fuselage) aft. Start there and adjust to your liking. And this C.G is with UAT full, gear down, fuel tanks empty and all flight equipment attached (all turbine, landing gear, BEC batteries e.t.c)
Old 09-14-2022, 07:15 PM
Andrewfordham

Hi Andrew. I ended up with my CG at 178mm (7 inches) as measured from the leading edge of the wing at the root (where wing meets fuselage) aft. Start there and adjust to your liking. And this C.G is with UAT full, gear down, fuel tanks empty and all flight equipment attached (all turbine, landing gear, BEC batteries e.t.c)
sounds good. Thanks for all the help!
frankmokaya (09-14-2022)
Old 12-18-2023, 04:01 AM
Chris1965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nose gear doors

Hi guys.

I am restoring a T-45 and the nose gear doors have been removed and there is no servo in place.
Also there are three sets of doors in total front to back. How do they open and close.
any pictures or videos will be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2023, 06:12 AM
rhklenke
My Feedback: (24)

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris1965
Hi guys.

I am restoring a T-45 and the nose gear doors have been removed and there is no servo in place.
Also there are three sets of doors in total front to back. How do they open and close.
any pictures or videos will be appreciated.

Thanks
The front doors open and close with a servo. I have mine set to oppen with the gear is moving and close when it stops, either up or down.

The aft doors close via a spring-loaded "trapeze" that the gear leg pushes on when it closes. Thus the doors are open when the gear are down and close when it comes up.

Bob
Old 12-18-2023, 06:37 AM
Chris1965

Thanks Bob. Any chance you could send me a picture of the setup. It isn’t obvious to me where the servo goes or how it attaches to the doors. Or where the springs go to the aft doors.
Old 12-23-2023, 05:46 AM
rhklenke

Thanks Bob. Any chance you could send me a picture of the setup. It isn’t obvious to me where the servo goes or how it attaches to the doors. Or where the springs go to the aft doors.
Yes, I can do that. Give me a few days to get the plane down into my workshop so I can get a picture...

Bob
Chris1965 (12-23-2023)
Old 12-23-2023, 09:36 AM
Chris1965

Thanks Bob. Much appreciated
Old 12-30-2023, 02:09 PM
rhklenke

Default T-45 nose gear pictures

Thanks Bob. Much appreciated
Here's some pictures. The aft doors close with the spring loaded trapeze as these remain open with the gear is down. The aft doors open and close with a servo as these close when the gear is up or down. Obviously, my doors don't close 100%. What I have is as close as I can get to fully closed.

Bob

Last edited by rhklenke; 12-30-2023 at 02:11 PM. Reason: trying to attach pictures...
Old 12-30-2023, 02:22 PM
rhklenke

Well, RCU doesn't seem to want me to upload pictures - I don't know why...

Bob

Ah, tried Google Chrome - here it worked...

I hate computers...

Last edited by rhklenke; 12-30-2023 at 02:31 PM. Reason: trying pictures using Google Chrome

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.