Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Tips & Techniques
Reload this Page >

Leading Edge sheet

Community
Search
Notices
Tips & Techniques Want to share a tip or special technique you have either in the workshop or at the flying field or race track? Post it right here!

Leading Edge sheet

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 07:29 AM
Folgore88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leading Edge sheet

Hi,
first of all I want to say that I don't have much experience, I am doing experience with building an Extra 300 CG.
What method do you do Leading Edge sheet ? As shown in the photo to keep the balsa sheet in contact with the leading edge I use paper tape (for the opposite side obviously I used clamps).
Thank you in advance.

Old 09-16-2022, 04:31 PM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Folgore88
Hi,
first of all I want to say that I don't have much experience, I am doing experience with building an Extra 300 CG.
What method do you do Leading Edge sheet ? As shown in the photo to keep the balsa sheet in contact with the leading edge I use paper tape (for the opposite side obviously I used clamps).
Thank you in advance.

Spray one side of the balsa sheet with ordinal blue windex it will immediately begin to curl, hold in place with tape or whatever means you see fit and allow to completely dry, the sheet will stay conformed to the shape, now your ready to glue in place.
The clamping will be much easier once you do this, I prefer to thin ca the first sheet in place while taped, then use Gorilla glue on the second side again then tape wrapped around until dry.

Bob

Last edited by sensei; 09-16-2022 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-17-2022, 01:38 AM
Folgore88

Hi Bob,
thanks for the advice. I had thought of using window glass cleaner too, but it's not easy to find products with ammonia here, apparently we are more environmentally conscious ...lol.
I have never folded balsa sheets but with water it might work ? Any other products ?
Anyway I glued using just paper tape and then put weights on top. Let's see how it goes.

Old 09-17-2022, 06:39 AM
Folgore88

I did a test with a window glass cleaner. Apparently it does not seem to contain ammonia but it worked well.
This second wing covering was a real pleasure. Right glue, perfect grip in all points...
Thank again to all for your suggestions
Angelo.

​​​​​​​
Old 09-21-2022, 11:27 AM
jaka54

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ordinary water works good too !
Old 09-21-2022, 11:46 AM
khodges
My Feedback: (1)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I was going to suggest plain water also; take a wet washcloth and wring it until it doesn't drip, then wipe the outside of the sheeting. Let it soften the wood a bit, test the flex before starting, then you can start gluing it to the ribs, I use Titebond wood glue for this because it has plenty of working time and bonds balsa as well as CA. Pin the LE first and start working your way toward the TE, pinning as you go, and tape it between the ribs next to the pins and leave it for at least 3 hours to set the glue. Titebond will fully cure in about 18-24 hours.
Old 09-22-2022, 08:42 AM
carlgrover

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

You can never have enough clamps.

The last time I did a wrap around leading edge, I made a fixture to hold the shape. I soaked a balsa sheet in water (waterlogged it), put it in the fixture, clamped everything down, then let it dry out for a day or two. I then took it out, slathered some titebond on the ribs and spars, and slid it in place already formed up. Worked really good.

carl