Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Jet Engine

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Jet Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2021, 06:36 AM
RadialWacko

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A. J. Clark
If this jet works out for me I would probably get another one in the future. I could buy another engine and use the k100 in a later plane. Would rather not have to do that, but want this first jet to work good.
Oh there is no doubt it will work! I'm just saying be careful to observe fuel usage until you get used to it. Running out of fuel in a jet is a different game than running out of fuel in a gas plane.
Old 10-30-2021, 07:21 AM
dr.tom

Received 48 Likes on 37 Posts

Kingtech has telemetry addon which you set up(fuel tank capacity) and it shows you remaining fuel level in % during flight on your tx and gives warning at set value (like 40% on first few flights, so you have enough time to land)
later you drop it to 25% for alarm and you're good on a long run.

No need for flow sensors since ECU drives the pump and knows really good how much pulses pump made.

You also get rpm and temp, battery voltage along...

i tjink k85 is better suited because it is much lighter.
(I do fly old k80g2 which is heavy as an k100g4 if not even more, and see difference from same plane with lighter k85s)

Max thrust is great for aerobatics and vectoring planes, but Hawk is not build for that anyway.
Better to be light and enjoy it.

Last edited by dr.tom; 10-30-2021 at 07:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
RadialWacko (11-06-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 03:59 PM
A. J. Clark

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

After some research and figuring I think I can get 6 to 7 min flights. Which won't be to bad. I'll give the k100 a chance and if It doesn't work out I'll change to another engine .
Old 10-30-2021, 04:07 PM
RCFlyerDan
My Feedback: (54)

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

After some research and figuring I think I can get 6 to 7 min flights. Which won't be to bad. I'll give the k100 a chance and if It doesn't work out I'll change to another engine .
6-7 minutes is plenty of adrenaline rush.
The following users liked this post:
RadialWacko (10-30-2021)
Old 10-30-2021, 04:15 PM
RadialWacko

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFlyerDan
6-7 minutes is plenty of adrenaline rush.
Right?? Plus if you have to take it out and use it in a second airframe that's not a bad thing either.

And to be honest I'm just coming from a point of jealousy. I think that vs the k85 at high altitude would be nice to have a little extra.

Last edited by RadialWacko; 10-30-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:33 AM
A. J. Clark

I'm now wondering what radio to use and how to mount it. I see where guys use a power safe receiver. Is it really necessary. There not available now and a little expensive . Any ideas on other receivers. There's a lot of carbon fiber sheeting inside the plane . How would be the best way and location to mount a receiver?
Old 11-02-2021, 01:13 PM
RCFlyerDan

I'm now wondering what radio to use and how to mount it. I see where guys use a power safe receiver. Is it really necessary. There not available now and a little expensive . Any ideas on other receivers. There's a lot of carbon fiber sheeting inside the plane . How would be the best way and location to mount a receiver?
That can be a touchy subject. Whatever you are currently using, should be alright, assuming it's 2.4. Your question concerning spending too much on a receiver. Think about it this way. Redundancy works. If one of the components quits, what is there to back it up (insurance) so that it goes home in the same amount of pieces that it came to the field? IMHO, you should have a power safe receiver, or if using a regular receiver, dual switches, dual batteries, and dual receivers.

How much does the extra electronics cost compared to loosing the cost of the jet and engine in the ground, due to going cheap and not having a backup system? Maybe $250 versus $4000-$5000? Plus it is just more safe.
Old 11-05-2021, 06:38 PM
rvnrcer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Jetcat 100 in mine. Seems to be the perfect size engine.. I put a 30 ounce Du-bro fuel tank on the shelf above the supplied main tank and used a BVM UAT. Extra weight doesn't affect flying and extra fuel eases my worry of running out. However, have 5 flights on plane. Second flight was with gear down because 2 of the 3 gears wouldn't cycle. Sent retracts back to Tower and got full replacements. Replacement gear lasted 2 flights and I ended up bellying plane in due to 1 main not extending. I have replaced all 3 actuators and the controller with Pilot RC parts. Have cycled them lots of times on the ground and feel confident they will now be OK. Cycle your gear on the ground several times. Hopefully you have a set that will work more than a couple of times but I bet they won't
Old 11-05-2021, 06:42 PM
rvnrcer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as receivers go, I have 3 flights on mine with the Spektrum 10 channel receiver. Had to Y the ailerons but so far so good. I used HV servo's and use 1 4000 mah Li-po battery
Old 11-07-2021, 08:04 AM
RCFlyerDan

Instead of spending money on unreliable gear. Consider going to JP Hobby Retracts. If they will fit. Most things can be modified. The guys that I have help with training, some of their jets had this brand of electric retracts and brakes. They have been reliable. Can take a beating and bounce. The brakes work well, but will lock up. The Assan AG63 gear and brake gyro works very well. Also removing a magnet in each brake helps too.

Replaces JP controller

This is an example of JP gear. I do not know if this is the set that will work with the jet in this forum.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:22 AM
Dansy
My Feedback: (53)

Received 163 Likes on 146 Posts

If you want reliable Landing Gear definitely choose the Electron……if you choose the JP expect to buy some replacement parts in the future…

That’s my experience with JP gear…all Jets were transfer to Electron….
Old 10-02-2022, 07:00 AM
A. J. Clark

I have 20 flights on the BAE Hawk now. Starting to feel more comfortable with flying it. The first flights were stressful for me. Takeoffs and flying have been good. It flies great. Landings are a little tougher. The first couple of landings were not to good. Did some damage to the gear and air frame that had to be repaired. I added a 32oz tank. I can make 6 1/2 min flights and and still have a couple of inches of fuel in the main tank with the flights at 3/4 throttle.
Old 10-02-2022, 04:51 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Dansy
If you want reliable Landing Gear definitely choose the Electron……if you choose the JP expect to buy some replacement parts in the future…

That’s my experience with JP gear…all Jets were transfer to Electron….
I put almost 400 flights on my Rebel with JP gear before I had any trouble at all. And that trouble was from flying off of a dry lake most of the time without enough maintenance on the gear. I wouldn't knock JP gear.