Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Baja Hobbies F-15

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Baja Hobbies F-15

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2022, 03:02 PM
N4S

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Baja Hobbies F-15

I have been looking at various F-15s. My top choice was BVM but it’s a bit too long for me to transport. I then look into Fei Bao F-15 and X-TREME F-15 and both seemed like good choices however, nobody had them in stock and wait time was from 4-6 months for production and shipping. Peter at Baja Hobbies had one in stock and I decided to give it a try, it is a new model for Baja. It is about 85” long with 56” wing span and calls for a 140.

It is an ARF + and comes with JP electric retracts, thrust tube, tanks and hardware. The hinges are Robart style and not live hinges. Build quality is good and similar to my Arowana. Currently, it is about 80% complete. I used mostly AccuTORQ 300SG servos except on gear doors and air brake. I will be using a K-142. For radio, I plan to use FrSky X20S TX with SR-10 and R-10 Pro RXs.

I have attached a few pictures. Snow cameo is beautiful but hard to see for me and I plan to paint it desert camo or something similar that is easy to see. The 2 1500 CC tanks are forward of the CG where my finger is pointing in the 3rd image. Not sure how that impact the CG as fuel is consumed.

The kit doesn’t’ t come with cockpit and I am trying to find something that fits or find 3D files to print seats & instrument panels. Any help regarding finding a cockpit is much appreciated. Cockpit opening is about 16” x 4”.

Old 03-21-2022, 04:19 PM
Piggy18

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks great!! the Baja models are fantastic quality for the money and much I'm finding they are much better built than the current Toprc models imo
I've heard they have a Bae Hawk out soon that's the same size of their current L-39.
Old 04-26-2022, 07:32 AM
Agrav8ed

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Do you have any updates on this model yet? How do you like it? Any video? Did your PNP version come with the lights and afterburners? If you had a chance to fly it, did you have any issues with the fuel tank being so far forward of the CG?BTW, I agree, I love my Baja L39 and Arowana and Peter is great to work with. I believe they have another sport jet in the works like the Shark that will be out soon also.
Thanks,
Tone
Old 05-06-2022, 07:59 PM
CFITG
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Test flights done!

We have the Baja Hobbies F-15. We got the arf version so no lights other than the landing lights.
we balanced the plane at the recommendation for the cg with about 750ml of fuel in the tank and the uat full in the front.
Take off is great it seems to levitate off the ground.
have not noticed trim needing to be changed during the flight due to the tanks being forward.
We have ours powered with a Kingtech 120 and it flies it around great. Landing pattern is very stable. Like most jets like this , you need to get the nose up and use power to control the decent.
we have the timer set for 7:30 minutes and always land with fuel. Power is usually around the 1/2 to 2/3 power range.
CFITG

The following 2 users liked this post by CFITG:
bandit_av (07-21-2022), jcterrettaz (05-07-2022)
Old 05-28-2022, 01:34 PM
N4S

Originally Posted by CFITG
We have the Baja Hobbies F-15. We got the arf version so no lights other than the landing lights.
we balanced the plane at the recommendation for the cg with about 750ml of fuel in the tank and the uat full in the front.
Take off is great it seems to levitate off the ground.
have not noticed trim needing to be changed during the flight due to the tanks being forward.
We have ours powered with a Kingtech 120 and it flies it around great. Landing pattern is very stable. Like most jets like this , you need to get the nose up and use power to control the decent....
Great Picture! Where exactly is your CG? Is it on the spar where the finger is pointing to?

Old 06-12-2022, 11:36 AM
CFITG

Default CG

We Balanced the model with a full UAT (BVM) and about .75 liters of fuel in the tank.
we balanced the model on the first former where the wing tube is clamped.

Old 06-14-2022, 07:02 PM
john491
My Feedback: (13)

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The former in your picture that you are pointing to appears to be behind the pivot line of the main gear. I'm curious how it will sit on the gear using that CG.
John
Old 07-21-2022, 07:53 AM
N4S

I asked Peter about CG and he sent me this image which is about the same area as CFITG shown in his picture. I am about 80% done with the build, putting a K142 in it. The flaps wouldn't drop more than 35 degrees. I had to sand the wing's trailing edge to make the flaps drop to 45 degree.

Has anyone else beside CFITG flown this model yet?

Old 07-21-2022, 10:11 AM
rchotdogpilot
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What's it weigh? I have the FB Jets one and it came out at 31lbs with full UAT. Not thrilled, to say the least.
Old 07-21-2022, 06:46 PM
CFITG

Default Weight

This is the weight of ours with 750ml of fuel in the tanks. And a full BVM UAT.

Last edited by CFITG; 07-21-2022 at 06:47 PM. Reason: More information
Old 07-21-2022, 06:53 PM
rchotdogpilot

Wow! Exactly what mine weighs. I wonder how the ones built years ago that I had read about came in at 24-28lbs. I guess I don't feel so bad now. You seem to like the way it flies?
Old 07-22-2022, 11:21 AM
N4S

This is the weight of ours with 750ml of fuel in the tanks. And a full BVM UAT.
Have you had a chance to fly it more? Any bad habits to watch for?
Old 07-22-2022, 12:00 PM
CFITG

If I could put a 140 or 160 in it I think it would be best. The 120 flies it ok once it is up to speed.
Loops , rolls and such are fine we have kept speed up on these maneuvers. Only slow type of flight we have done is when it is configured for landing. And the plane is solid in the pattern.
I will add Taileron mixing to it the next time we fly the plane to help with the roll axis. It seemed very sluggish on ailerons when slow and full flaps,gear down.
As soon as you present more of a nose up attitude the plane slows down fast, really fast,
similar to an F-18. So be ready to add power if needed.

The color scheme of ours is very difficult for me to see. The kid can see it fine.

Landing gear is pretty tough. We have had a few carrier type landings. The gear and the plane took the beating with no issues or broken parts.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:05 PM
rchotdogpilot

That's good to hear at that weight. I have a 140 in mine, thinking of possibly going 180. Was concerned because all the earlier (10yrs +) reviews of the carious 1/9 scale 15;s had them in at 24-28 lbs. Hoping to maiden it in the next week or 2.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:05 PM
N4S

If I could put a 140 or 160 in it I think it would be best. The 120 flies it ok once it is up to speed.
Loops , rolls and such are fine we have kept speed up on these maneuvers. Only slow type of flight we have done is when it is configured for landing. And the plane is solid in the pattern.
I will add Taileron mixing to it the next time we fly the plane to help with the roll axis. It seemed very sluggish on ailerons when slow and full flaps,gear down.
As soon as you present more of a nose up attitude the plane slows down fast, really fast,
similar to an F-18. So be ready to add power if needed.

The color scheme of ours is very difficult for me to see. The kid can see it fine.

Landing gear is pretty tough. We have had a few carrier type landings. The gear and the plane took the beating with no issues or broken parts.
Thank you for your thorough explanation! I think I'll mix some rudder with aileron to compensate for sluggish roll during landing.

Any issues with flaps extending down? I can't get mine to go more than 45 mm even after I sanded the trailing edges? How far does your flaps go down when fully extended?

I have been trying to find a cockpit, but no luck, thinking to paint the clear canopy black.
Old 07-22-2022, 01:52 PM
CFITG

After sanding the wing edge we were able to get 37* , not sure how many MM that is.
Old 12-04-2022, 06:30 PM
frankmokaya

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my hands on one of these Baja Hobby F-15's. So far there are things I like and some that I think could have been better.
I am using AR smoothflite 16 for power distro and gyro. Frsky Tandem Rx and X20s for guidance. Gonna start with a SW 170 while my SW140 is on for service and down grade to the 140.

Check out my build videos here.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...Z_24WJFXzcgvAM
The following users liked this post:
cagmo (12-05-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:37 PM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Pretty amazing how that splash for an early Skymaster kit is still around 18 years later. Just look at the flat bottomed nose. The yellow was too bulbous but the skymaster, FB (add chinese manufacturer here) always had the flat bottomed nose in the 1/9 scale. Mine flew well though....