Community
Search
Notices
Car Nitro & Gas Engines Discuss all aspects of Nitro and Gas rc car engines here!

ENGINE SEALANT

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 11:54 AM
bjonaiti
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ENGINE SEALANT

ORIGINAL: supertib

ORIGINAL: savagecommander

''Just like you used to argue the RE32 was not the same as the Axial 32...ends up I was correct, the RE 32 is the same junk the Axial 32 is'' take a look back on post #82- i think its been proven who remembers thier posts.

and i didnt say you were wrong, i said you had it backwards- says right on the label not to be immersed in gasoline- and i did ask for proof, thats why i said why dont the lines melt then- i was hoping you could dip into your ''expertise'', but.............

and i use rtv on the intakes and exh of my zen motors too- i know rtv wont hold up to gas but i dont even need to use the fiber gaskets. no leaks. my original point was if its not broke dont fix it. i dont have any trouble using rtv as a SEALING agent in any of my motors, nor do i have these contamination issues you speak of.

you're just to fond of the idea of you being right. i seriously dont care if you are or arent, nor do i care if this test proves anything. im still going to do what ive been doing, wether you think its wrong or right....

oh... and dont call me boy.[sm=thumbs_down.gif]

Remember..I never said RTV wont work as a sealant, i even said I have successfully used it myself in the past

I only stated even tho RTV may work, it is not fuel proof...

You guys chose to jump all over me for these exact statements........ NOW YOUR CHANGING YOUR STORY AND AND TOTALLY FORGETTING THE WHOLE REASON YOU STARTED IN ON ME...of course i know RTV will work, I even said that from square one..I even said it doesn't bother me one bit if you use RTV for sealing...I even said I have used RTV in the past .. All I did was offer up that RTV was not fuel proof and that there is a product called 1211 that is fuel proof and makes for a better sealer........ Well guess what ? RTV is not fuel proof ( manufacturers words) and 1211 is fuel proof.... which would be a btter sealer ? a product that is 100% fuel proof or a product that isn't ? It seems to me you clowns were more looking for a fight then you were about finding out the actual facts.... I repeat...RTV will work as a sealant, but it is not really fuel proof....... If you want a truly fuel proof product there is something called Threebond 1211.............

And to the fellow who said I was too broke to buy Copper RTV LOL dude I got a piece of metal in my eye and had gone to the hospital to have it removed...They used cyclopentolate drops to dialate my pupils..unfortunately because of this I was unable to drive as my eyes would barely focus and I had severe light sensitivity.. I am still out of commission and will have to use these drops for the next 4 days..... Another forum meber stepped up and has started to perform these tests....what else do you want ? you guys dont trust me, so why would i waste my time doing the test, you will discount the results as me cheating anyways.... I have taken your best interests in mind and have asked a unbiased 3rd person to perform the tests...you guys should be happy as you will be able to trust the results......................... Now you want to talk about money ? are you bloody serious ? What RC's do you even own ? lets hear the equipment you experts run..... If your so wealthy lets hear about the gear you run... I will then post what gear i run and we can compare notes and financial ability to buy gear........ Seriosly guys what RC gear do you even own ?
WOW...you should get a purple heart for being so brave! I cut my finger today playing with my GI Joe.

I guess the blurred vision is the reason you saw gunk in the engine. Sorry man, we're talking about RTV sealant, not who'd d*** is bigger.

I should be happy that I can trust your results??? Are you kidding me? I don't trust anything that you post anymore. Too many people have called your expertise. Know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away.
Old 06-28-2009, 11:55 AM
supertib

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4768881/tm.htm

i thought you said the axials were junk? i thought that was your ''expert'' opinion? guess not huh?

they are junky.... I still have modded my fair share...but compared to what else is on the market they are bottom of the barrel.........
Old 06-28-2009, 12:08 PM
savagecommander

oh brother
Old 06-28-2009, 01:39 PM
Chris_RC

You guys are still going at it.

COPPER RTV IS NOT NITROPROOF!

I did the test last year, but I didn't take any pictures as I thought I wouldn't need to. Supertib has many years of experience in engines, probably been working on engines longer than some of the people on this thread have been alive so you guys just shut your mouth, I dont see you, savagecommander doing the test.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:03 PM
savagecommander

i dont use copper rtv- i use the ultra blue rtv.
Old 06-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Chris_RC

i dont use copper rtv- i use the ultra blue rtv.
Yes, I know that. So do you think that COPPER RTV is nitroproof?

Do the test on blue rtv and see how it works out.
Old 06-28-2009, 03:25 PM
Iflyglow
My Feedback: (79)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a bunch of BS over the fuel compatability of silocone. I have been in this hobby for 30 years and have allways used Silocone gasket materials. It doesent matter if it is clear, blue, black, or red. They are as fuel proof as you are going to get. Are fuel lines are silocone along with many very high end Super Charged and injected four stroke glow engines which are sealed with every thing from Silocone o-rings to silocone gaskets and are run on everything from 20% to 60% nitro.
Petrolium products are what break down silocone products, not methonal based model fuels.
Since permatex has come out with the Aluminum Color Silocone, I have switched to that, and that holds up 100% too.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:16 PM
dittch
Banned

ORIGINAL: Argess

Supertib:

On page 2 you say:

''As i say i am going to buy a tube of copper RTV and do a test ... ''

On page 3 you say:

''A test is underway...copper RTV is setting up on wax paper right now, ... ''

On page 4 you say:

''I currently do not have any RTV here, I don't use RTV and I have no reason to own any ...''

Your credibility is dropping due to these contradictory statements.
more proof that he's full of it, but of course he will make a pathetic attempt to explain this blatant lie

videos will be coming soon, stay tuned
Old 06-28-2009, 06:08 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: dittch

ORIGINAL: Argess

Supertib:

On page 2 you say:

''As i say i am going to buy a tube of copper RTV and do a test ... ''

On page 3 you say:

''A test is underway...copper RTV is setting up on wax paper right now, ... ''

On page 4 you say:

''I currently do not have any RTV here, I don't use RTV and I have no reason to own any ...''

Your credibility is dropping due to these contradictory statements.
more proof that he's full of it, but of course he will make a pathetic attempt to explain this blatant lie

videos will be coming soon, stay tuned

I was going to purchase RTV

another foruum member stepped up and offered to do the test instead of me..he has layed out several blobs and they were drying when I said what i said.......... it isn't that difficult, especially for someone claiming to be a chemist..LOL !!!! if this is all you have to go on, then your argument is pretty weak dude !

By the way Nitromethane is made from Propane....it is a very strong solvent..and if any of you contacted Permatex and asked if theirUltra RTV products were nitromethane proof they would tell that "No" they are not !
Old 06-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Chris_RC

I have my dry RTV soaking in Byron 30 ProDriver now. How long should I wait until I take it out?
Old 06-28-2009, 06:27 PM
supertib

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I have my dry RTV soaking in Byron 30 ProDriver now. How long should I wait until I take it out?

give it a few days....
Old 06-28-2009, 07:18 PM
jeffy

nice work

Old 06-28-2009, 07:34 PM
jeffy

yup real nice work
Old 06-29-2009, 07:02 AM
dittch
Banned

Wow, 6 pages now. Here’s a quick summary of the claims:

silicone melts with contact to nitromethane......
copper RTV is not a good sealant as it will melt with exposure to nitromethane...
it works, but if nitro makes contact it will melt....
guys I know what i am talking about...
I assure you regular silicone melts in nitro
Trust me, I am not mistaken....
it will melt and become soft under any real contact with Nitro
it most definitely is not nitro proof...in direct contact it will not hold together......
RTV is not nitro proof.. !!!!!! end of story !
I have already stated RTV will work, but it will not sustain itself in contact with nitro
it is mildly resistant to Nitro...
I know I am right...
Geez, those ‘points’ are all over the place. It definitely changed quite a bit as the thread went on. There were also several attempts to change the subject by talking about engine porting/polishing, racing, and RC equipment among other things; all classic examples of the ‘straw man’ argument as well as a severe case of insecurity. All of the little games you’ve been playing are crystal clear to both myself and everyone else who has been watching this thread and getting amusement at your expense. Here’s an idea, next time you want to play games like this make sure to try them on people who aren’t smarter than you.

And this is a classic:

6/26:
As i say i am going to buy a tube of copper RTV and do a test just to show how poorly the copper RTV holds up when in full contact with nitro
6/27:
A test is underway...copper RTV is setting up on wax paper right now, it will be dry tommorow and be submersed in nitro....results will floow in 2 days
I will have pics of melted copper RTV in a day or two, including a paper smear
I have never ****ted before and I am not going to start now.... Ask anyone who knows me, I am a man of my word
6/28:
Well here is the scoop... I currently do not have any RTV here, I don't use RTV and I have no reason to own any...I have been to busy to drive to a hardware store and buy a tube of RTV...... However another forum member has offered to do these tests just to see what happens..
I am not a liar like some people, so here is the video I promised. And supertib, after watching this don’t forget: open mouth, insert foot. Also, for what it’s worth, the next time you give advice make sure you actually know what you’re talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm0NCk8y4l8

Youtube is still processing it on their end, so if it doesn’t work wait a little while and try again. More videos to come soon. I think I’ll do a video every 2 days for now. I welcome any feedback on the videos.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
RCtruckRacer

I'd say the usefulness of this thread has long since seen it's peak.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:05 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: dittch

Wow, 6 pages now. Here’s a quick summary of the claims:

silicone melts with contact to nitromethane......
copper RTV is not a good sealant as it will melt with exposure to nitromethane...
it works, but if nitro makes contact it will melt....
guys I know what i am talking about...
I assure you regular silicone melts in nitro
Trust me, I am not mistaken....
it will melt and become soft under any real contact with Nitro
it most definitely is not nitro proof...in direct contact it will not hold together......
RTV is not nitro proof.. !!!!!! end of story !
I have already stated RTV will work, but it will not sustain itself in contact with nitro
it is mildly resistant to Nitro...
I know I am right...
Geez, those ‘points’ are all over the place. It definitely changed quite a bit as the thread went on. There were also several attempts to change the subject by talking about engine porting/polishing, racing, and RC equipment among other things; all classic examples of the ‘straw man’ argument as well as a severe case of insecurity. All of the little games you’ve been playing are crystal clear to both myself and everyone else who has been watching this thread and getting amusement at your expense. Here’s an idea, next time you want to play games like this make sure to try them on people who aren’t smarter than you.

And this is a classic:

6/26:
As i say i am going to buy a tube of copper RTV and do a test just to show how poorly the copper RTV holds up when in full contact with nitro
6/27:
A test is underway...copper RTV is setting up on wax paper right now, it will be dry tommorow and be submersed in nitro....results will floow in 2 days
I will have pics of melted copper RTV in a day or two, including a paper smear
I have never ****ted before and I am not going to start now.... Ask anyone who knows me, I am a man of my word
6/28:
Well here is the scoop... I currently do not have any RTV here, I don't use RTV and I have no reason to own any...I have been to busy to drive to a hardware store and buy a tube of RTV...... However another forum member has offered to do these tests just to see what happens..
I am not a liar like some people, so here is the video I promised. And supertib, after watching this don’t forget: open mouth, insert foot. Also, for what it’s worth, the next time you give advice make sure you actually know what you’re talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm0NCk8y4l8

Youtube is still processing it on their end, so if it doesn’t work wait a little while and try again. More videos to come soon. I think I’ll do a video every 2 days for now. I welcome any feedback on the videos.

there is no question I am right dude, and I have zero reason to lie over this...absolutely nothing to gain by lying.... so dont be calling me a liar !... ! I see the softened RTV all the time when I modify engines..Maybe it is the heat with the nitro IDK ... as I say I will take pictures the next time I am sent one.... 1211 is far superior and its that simple.........

there truly is no need for this thread to have gone on like this.... this is a terrible train wreck and it needs to be closed IMHO.....

Old 02-11-2021, 06:53 PM
jdingledine

so i'm new to the forum and was thumbing through some old threads.
Did this argument ever get resolved? Just curious.
My experience is that RTV will not break down from nitro fuel
Old 02-19-2021, 06:11 AM
Polar_Bus

Originally Posted by jdingledine
so i'm new to the forum and was thumbing through some old threads.
Did this argument ever get resolved? Just curious.
My experience is that RTV will not break down from nitro fuel
Well, like you I was hoping to gain some feedback from reading this thread ? My takeaway ? Just one of MANY garbage arrogant bash threads that was just a waste of my time. I myself was hardcore into nitro back in the early 2000's and I ALWAYS sealed my engines with silicone based RTV . ZERO sealant erosion issues. How can I prove this ? I sold my nephew a Savage MT back in 2007 that had a Collari .30 that I sealed with your basic Autozone black RTV and I just recently bought it back. I wanted to inspect the crank bearing for rust as my Collari engine has sat for a LOT of years. Upon inspection the RTV was in perfect condition, and the crank bearings were pretty gunked up. So a new set of bearings and a RTV seal job and i'm GTG ! I took a long break from nitro RC's , sold off everything back in 2007 and now just recently have decided to revisit the "passion" .

Last edited by Polar_Bus; 02-19-2021 at 06:13 AM.
Old 02-12-2023, 05:36 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 78 Likes on 71 Posts

I don’t understand why threads like this get resurrected with responses that are 10+ years old. Most if not all of the people involved in it are long gone from the forum.

As far as the actual thread topic having any relevance - not really. People that seal their engines to eliminate (phantom) “air leaks” don’t understand that these engines rarely leak! If they do, there will be witness marks of oil seeping out where the leak is. The only place RTV can be beneficial is below the carburetor fit the o-ring is dried out or missing. Otherwise sealing the backplate, head, etc. is pointless. Especially if the backplate is sealed with an o-ring. If your engine doesn’t run right, 99% of the time it’s improperly tuned. Tips for proper tuning in order of Importance:

Carburetor idle gap set to 0.5-0.8mm. New engines being broken in may need the idle gap as large as 1mm for the first couple tanks of fuel.

Proper heat range of glow plug for the fuel being used. 0-10% nitro a hot plug is suitable; 15-20% nitro should use a medium heat plug. The colder the plug, the sharper you can tune the fuel mixture and make a little more power. The consequence can be a lowered idle quality - less heat is retained in colder plugs, so they may blubber a bit off idle. If the needle is set correctly, this is rarely a problem though.

Proper tuning sequence and needle settings. Set the high speed needle for best performance first, then back off 1/16th-1/8th turn richer. Idle mixture set for a steady idle that is low and slightly rich so after a 10-15 second idle period the engine is ever so slightly loaded up. This ensures after a hard run there is enough fuel to cool the plug down. If it’s too lean, often the engine will suffer from “idle hang” where the rpm doesn’t drop immediately when throttle is reduced.