Community
Search
Notices
Scratch Building, Aircraft Design, 3D/CAD If you are starting/building a project from scratch or want to discuss design, CAD or even share 3D design images this is the place. Q&A's.

Reinforced foam formers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2023, 12:18 AM
esaero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reinforced foam formers?

I'm looking into using reinforcement glued to foam formers... they'd be maybe, 1/4 or 3/8" of 1/32" ply glued on each side of the former.

At the moment, my fuselage (5" diameter) is solid xps fomular 150, sanded and hollowed out. It works but is too heavy. I can do only so much to hollow it out because getting any tool inside....well there's just no room for a tool.

The other issue, I'd prefer to make the fuse by itself, then attached or mounted to the balsa airframe, not glued on. The balsa airframe is a very minimal backbone for mounting the servos, ESCs, etc

Anybody tried something like this?

Thanks

Last edited by esaero; 04-10-2023 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:26 AM
esaero

I guess I'll have to make a few ribs and weigh them.
Old 04-11-2023, 08:18 AM
mgnostic

Received 105 Likes on 91 Posts

You might look into hot wire cutting. If you are building on a balsa backbone you can cut stackable sections that are very close to final shape. Most of your hollowing will be done prior to assembly.
Old 04-11-2023, 07:08 PM
esaero

Originally Posted by mgnostic
You might look into hot wire cutting. If you are building on a balsa backbone you can cut stackable sections that are very close to final shape. Most of your hollowing will be done prior to assembly.
Yes, I'm thinking along similar lines, but sanding. Right now, I've gotta work with what I already have. Very minimal blocking, minimal sanding with the formers mounted on the blocking. The bottom of the fueselage for instance, is almost flat.

For accuracy, I should mention the backbone is actually sandwiched 6mm depron with 1/32" ply on each side. It IS as small as I think I can make it. Pretty strong tho...

Last edited by esaero; 04-11-2023 at 07:31 PM.