Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Flight Simulator Software
Reload this Page >

Will realflight 3.5 work on windows 11?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Flight Simulator Software Discuss rc flight simulator software here. Aerofly Pro, RealFlight G3, XTR, Reflex, etc.

Will realflight 3.5 work on windows 11?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 05:06 PM
Thunder man

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Will realflight 3.5 work on windows 11?

Hello, I'm hoping that someone could let me know if a physical copy of Realflight 3.5 will work on windows 11

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2022, 07:15 PM
CptDan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Real Flight 3 working on Win 10 if that helps
Old 06-14-2022, 04:11 AM
Thunder man

I guess it will work then, Thanks for the reply
Old 06-14-2022, 04:41 AM
tedsander

Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

You may run into issues getting it authenticated. With RF being sold to Horizon, they changed distribution to Steam, rather than selling CD's. There were/are plans that the server that authenticates licenses will be shut down. Go to the RF forums for more information. A call to Horizon may be needed, if it doesn't accept your license.
As for Win 11, my 8.0 version has had no issues, but was installed before the above change. There hasn't been huge changes in the core code since 3.5 (features, yes, many), so it should just work. Worst case is that you may have to tell Windows 11 to install it in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.
Old 06-14-2022, 04:58 AM
Thunder man

Would 4.5 realflight be a better choice then?
Old 06-15-2022, 01:57 PM
tedsander

The better choice is RF 9.5 from Steam.
3.5 is over 16 years old. Time to pay the cost, and get the latest version.
Go to the RealFlight forums to find out if your existing controller is compatible enough (some of the eariler mostly work, but not with the newest features).
Also look into issues with Radeon video cards, although it sounds like Radeon has some drivers out to fix what they (Radeon) broke. But don't just assume it is what is listed as the "latest current".
Old 06-16-2022, 03:40 AM
Thunder man

My only problem is that I have a small laptop with a Intel celeron, and a small budget. For me, as long as I can train with 4.5, then I'm happy, besides, I found a copy in good condition for about 55$ including the radio that had light use.

But anyways, thanks for the recommendation.
Old 06-16-2022, 04:18 AM
tedsander

For running the software, you may need to deal with installing in compatibility mode, but it is not hard. A call to Horizon should give you info as to whether you can register/activate it or not.
If they have not hurt legacy versions with their licensing changes, consider strongly getting a used copy of RF 8 - ask about that too. Starting with that one, you can use any device Windows sees as a joystick/game pad, and don't need their dedicated box. Some transmitters allow for a USB connection to the PC just for that purpose. Spektrum and Frsky also sell dongles to plug into USB that allow you to use their transmitters normally/wirelessly. Going that route requires more fiddling to get the channels/functions mapped to the in game functions, but once done gives a cheaper alternative to buying the full thing with their dedicated box.
Old 06-16-2022, 07:14 AM
Thunder man

I'm certain I can figure out the rest from here,

Thanks for the help
Old 11-27-2023, 04:58 AM
rowdog_14
My Feedback: (5)

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

This is old but sure you have gotten your answer or purchased a new one, but works just fine with me. You just need to do the compatibility override, mainly on the launcher but also on the setup file on the disc. The only trouble I ran into is getting the Add-On Volume Three to install. Everything else works fine but Volume Three.