Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

CL Plane with "real" Airfoils ??

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

CL Plane with "real" Airfoils ??

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2024, 01:47 PM
aaganz

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CL Plane with "real" Airfoils ??

In looking at the airfoil sections on my Super Ringmaster, I am struck by the symmetry of the upper and lower airfoil shapes. Someone mentioned that this was so the plane could fly inverted.

Is there a CL plane with regular (full) airfoil sections in the wings?? It would be fun to have a plane that does a real runway take off, gathering speed, and then generating lift from the wing, and lifting off after 30-40 ft or so. Also, would land with a long flare and roll like a regular GA plane. (or DC3!)

My CL plane with symmetric airfoils seems more like a weak guided missile than a plane, with the wings being mostly stabilizing fins!!

aaganz
Old 06-10-2024, 07:40 PM
J330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

These were my favorites as a kid, and both have symmetrical airfoils, excellent flight characteristics. Magician .35 would be my first choice.

https://vintageperformancemodelairpl...n-19-35-cl-kit

https://vintageperformancemodelairpl...ge-performance
Old 06-11-2024, 04:50 AM
rcguy!
My Feedback: (69)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=8692

Originally Posted by aaganz
In looking at the airfoil sections on my Super Ringmaster, I am struck by the symmetry of the upper and lower airfoil shapes. Someone mentioned that this was so the plane could fly inverted.

Is there a CL plane with regular (full) airfoil sections in the wings?? It would be fun to have a plane that does a real runway take off, gathering speed, and then generating lift from the wing, and lifting off after 30-40 ft or so. Also, would land with a long flare and roll like a regular GA plane. (or DC3!)

My CL plane with symmetric airfoils seems more like a weak guided missile than a plane, with the wings being mostly stabilizing fins!!

aaganz
Old 06-11-2024, 01:02 PM
AJ Sun

Received 30 Likes on 30 Posts

My Super Ringmaster has a semi style wing. It’s semi flat on the bottom and has the regular curve type airfoil on top. not a Sterling, but a Micro Models design. The regular Ringmaster S-1 has the airfoil your referencing. Sterling design. Also the original S-6 Super Ringmaster has basicly the very same wing design as the S-1. Don’t know about the other Sterling Models. But the RC PT-17 had a very flat bottom on both wings and I think so did the Flying Fool. I’ve built and flown both.AJ