Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

Using A Hobby grade 2.4 Ghz remote for toy grade car?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Using A Hobby grade 2.4 Ghz remote for toy grade car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 08:29 AM
XrcHobbys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Using A Hobby grade 2.4 Ghz remote for toy grade car?

The title says it all. I am young and have been collecting used Toy Grade Rc cars for parts and custom builds.
But one thing has been bothering me for some. Vintage toy Rc was simple. There was (Best to my knowledge) two main frequencies (27Mhz and 49Mhz). If you pick up a car with that frequencie, and have a remote of the same they will work together.
But then they introduced 2.4Ghz. I am not vary techy, but if I understand this allows each car to have its own channel with a remote. The thing is, no matter how many brand, remotes or cars I pick up (Jada, New Bright, etc.) will not work with each other.

So the question is, if I buy a Hobby grade 2.4 will it work with a toy grade car? And/or is there a universal remote for this sort of thing? I figured I would ask.

This is my first post on here. Thanks to all who respond!
Tristan.
Old 06-23-2024, 09:21 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

i think the Mhz of an AM radio depended on where you lived. all the AM radio's i had were ether 27Mhz or 75Mhz. aircraft may be different idk. and yeah those were easy. put the frequency crystal that matched the car and there was a good chance it would work.
the 2.4 digital stuff is still voodoo to me. there's also different types of 2.4 gig radios. you can't bind a Futaba radio to a Spectrum receiver and vis versa. i once found out that i couldn't connect my Futaba radio to an HPI receiver because the radio is FHSS and the receiver was S-FHSS.
that said, i think the only way you're going to get a 2.4 gig radio to work with a toy grade car is to somehow wire the hobby grade receiver into the board on the toy grade car. i have no idea how to do that. i actually don't know if it's fully possible.
your other option is to strip out the electrics in the toy grade car and replace it will hobby grade components. that iv done. i have an old Nikko High Roller Camaro monster truck that now has an old LRP esc, an old AM hobby grade radio, hobby grade servo, but still uses the stock toy grade motor. the car was already set up to use a 7.2v nicd/nimh battery so that part was easy. the only thing id be carefully about is that you don't feed the motor to much power. if the car is made to run on 4 AA batteries (6v) and you try using a 7.2v lithium battery the motor might not last very long.