Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Spectrum DX8 Gen1 - upgrade or?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2024, 09:36 PM
OldschoolG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spectrum DX8 Gen1 - upgrade or?

Ok so I’m re-entering RC after 12 yrs and need help from those with experience on radio choices.

previously I was flying a 1) 6th scale J3 1/6 scale with OS 46AX with an old Dinasoar but functional Tower Hobbies 400 FM radio system and then 2) a radian pro sail plane on a DX8 first gen with micro servos.

I do have a JR 6102 FM installed in a sail plane with micro servos and it’s never flown - uhhh nice radio in the day and really NOS now - any use for this?

Goal is to update the J3 and continue with Radian pro as is with the DX8 (1st gen).

Options;
1. Leave servos installed and add AR637T RX, convert servo plug connectors and use DX8 w/o telemetry and safe mode
2. Update everything. - new gen2 DX8e, AR637T RX, spectrum servos( low cost basic servos)
3. New spectrum servos, Ar637T, use gen1 existing DX8

long term I plan to fly other planes like 1/4 scale sig Cub with 120 OS Gemini (new in box) and a Cub with Saito 65 and maybe I’ll convert to gas engines and 1/4 scale plane eventually within 2 yrs (DA twins).

I remember the days when you picked a JR radio set at HH, the swapped components ( receiver servos batteries) and you were done - it was nice because the whole set shipped in one box! Then they had flight packs servos, batteries receiver mounting HW

i guess those were the days!!! Is there a package deal on these items anymore?

votes on what to do about radio option, much appreciated.

thx Oldschool!
Old 06-25-2024, 04:33 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

You won't be able to configure the stabilization (AS3X and SAFE) in the AR637T with a DX8 G1. You need to get into the G2 or G3 radios. At the very least you would need to borrow a G2 or G3, configure the plane, and then rebind it to your DX8. It can be done, but it's not simple especially if you aren't familiar with the requirements.

Package deals are not so easy because of the wide variety of servos and receivers. People don't fly planes that were as similar as they were in the old days. It's not like you have a 25, 40, and 60-sized plane using the same equipment any more. Things are more specialized it seems.

Andy
Old 06-26-2024, 07:48 PM
OldschoolG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AndyKunz
You won't be able to configure the stabilization (AS3X and SAFE) in the AR637T with a DX8 G1. You need to get into the G2 or G3 radios. At the very least you would need to borrow a G2 or G3, configure the plane, and then rebind it to your DX8. It can be done, but it's not simple especially if you aren't familiar with the requirements.

Package deals are not so easy because of the wide variety of servos and receivers. People don't fly planes that were as similar as they were in the old days. It's not like you have a 25, 40, and 60-sized plane using the same equipment any more. Things are more specialized it seems.

Andy
Thanks Andy I think I will buy a new NX or GX8 ( gen 2 or 3) and set it up with that. Makes sense.

So seams there is not much difference between gen 2 or 3, or for the extra $100 on a NX8 what benefits will I get? Longer until obsolete? Seems I always buy at the end of a generation!!

Any reason why I should not use the old tower hobbies (Futuna?) TS-53 servos installed and just trim the bump off the connector and round the corners for a Spektrum RX? Its a J3 cub , nothing sporty. really I just don’t want to chang them out and IIRC this is the Futaba 3003 servo rebadged which was a simple but quality servo?

thx

Last edited by OldschoolG; 06-26-2024 at 08:49 PM.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 AM
AndyKunz

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

The NX8 will work nicely for you. It's a Gen 3 radio (all NX are Gen 3).

The Gen 3 platform is faster - first thing you'll notice at power-on is no "DX8" screen as it starts up. There is a final release with the Test dept right now for the DX line. Once that's released, that'll be it. No more updates. The NX is all I work on any more, adding features and fixes daily. There are some BIG improvements coming soon - you'll have to wait to hear what they are. Pretty cool stuff that nobody else does.

Those old servos will work fine.

Andy